Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

I will get some pics up soon, I do not have my own digital camera so I have to barrow the one from work. The only one is on my page where I am jumping it. Good jump, bad pic. My Friend thought there was a delay with the camera so he got me going up not on top of the arc. Oh well I will get more of those too! I am glad this thread got started as there have not been that many quadsport topics in the past. Very hit or mis. Have you heard of Vince's? It is a great site for Quad sport parts.

The following users liked this post:
Olemountainman (03-16-2023)
Old 01-14-2006, 09:21 AM
BigMc
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SaaZooKee,I cut the extra stock off a damaged quadsport swingarm. Theres a good 4" piece between the shock mt. and pivot tube. I took it to a local welding shop and they cut the swingarm halfway between the carrier mounts and shock mount. The extra length was welded in with added braceing on the inside face. The braces are the rectangaled shapes in the pics.
There is no problems with chain alignment.
The angle of the swingarm is decreased so chain strech is minimized. ( 96 link )
And the front end stays planted much better with no loss of traction.
You will need a new rear shock unless yours is already aftermarket and can be revalved/resprung. The shock is stock length. The swingarm was extended behind the shock mt.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:29 AM
BigMc

Ugly88, I have checked out the Vince's web site in the past. I had went as far as requesting pricing on parts.
They would not do credit card orders. That to me was an inconvience and I never traded with them.
I've not tried them latley though.
I also have enjoyed the input to this thread. Any info or experiences about these machines are welcome.

Thanks Ugly88

Old 01-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

I will be putting new lights on the QS this week so that I can ride at night this weekend out at our cabin and land. I think I will just get som e of the $15-$20 driving lights from Wally World? Any suggestions? i was going to wire them for one to come on for low and both to come on for high beam. I was going to mount them where the stock crappy light was.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:43 PM
BigMc

Ugly88, be careful with the lights. The QS lighting coil is only good for about 45 watts.The stock light uses a duel element bulb. One for low one for high. They both cannot operate at the same time. If you dont watch it you will burn out the stock lighting coil.
If you happen to have a coil rewoud to handle the load, or have installed a battery, then just disregard the caution.
And good luck with the lights.

keepemalive

Old 01-17-2006, 09:31 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey BigMC..do you know anybody that does lighting coil rewinds on the lt230?

Old 01-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

THanks for the heads up! If my lights stay below 45watts I should be ok then? and only have one on at a time?

Old 01-17-2006, 09:17 PM
BigMc

UGLY88, if you use 1 light at a time, aint that like 2 of the same thing? LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
You could point one higher than the other. That would effectivley give you a high and a low beam. Do you think you can find 2 sets that look alike but one is a flood? Use one spot and one flood. That would be interesting to know.
If it works you could sale the spare set to one of the other members and reap the benefits. If it dosnt, then you would have a good experience to write about. At the very least you would the MAN when it comes to members asking how to replace the lighting coil on their LT230S. jk

AtomicPunk, no i dont know of any one that rewinds the lighting coil. I dont even run the light on mine. I cant do any night riding, but as of yet that has not been an issue. But ( theres always one of those) the stator off of the shaft drive units or even the 230E may be a different story. In the case of the shaft drive 230, they were built for a more utilititarian purpose, it might work. But we all know the story of mights dont we? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I have not done any research on this subject. But maybe someone else has. Got any ideas? I will do a "stare and compare" at some fiche images to see what i can come up with.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check with Baja Designs. I believe they rewind stators for the Off Road to Dual Sport Market. Just google them and you should be able to get ahold of them.

Joe

Old 01-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Pro Rider

So is the 45 watt max lut put at idle or at Wide Open Throttle? I was thinking of one flood for low beam and one driving light for high high beam. I am looking for 35-40 watt lights right now and would like one flood and one driving. I have yet to find them for a reasonable price.

Trail Tech Rewinds stators as well. I do not think I want to spend the money to rewind the stator and or switch to a DC system as that money could get me a big bore kit.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.