Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

I just rebuilt a 2006 Eiger 400. Everything was put back together according to the manual. When I trun the motor over, I'm not getting any valve or rocker arm movement. Cam was installed with crank at TDC. This is giving me fits. Any advice

Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have come to the conclusion that the cam chain must have come off the crank shaft. I held it up the while time during this process, but it is the only thing I can think that will cause the cam not to turn when the motor spins.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cgillard
I have come to the conclusion that the cam chain must have come off the crank shaft. I held it up the while time during this process, but it is the only thing I can think that will cause the cam not to turn when the motor spins.
yeah that sounds about right. after the engine and cam was set at TDC, did you release the cam chain tensioner to apply force against the cam chain? because thats what holds the cam chain in place while the rest of the engine is built and bolted up tight.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I did that. I keep the chain pulled tight during the rebuild, but It must have come lose. Is there a way to get to the chain and crank by pulling the rt side plate off without pulling the clutch? Will I be able to get behind the clutch?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I got the rt side crank cover removed and the chain was off the sprocket. It took a little work, but I got it back on and got the cam timed. Engine is back together, but have to get a gasket for the crank case cover. I will be so glad to get this thing running.