Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

clunky sound with new z400.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunky sound with new z400.

hey guys, got a 2013 z400 yesterday, first 4 wheeler so this may be normal but I found that when cruising around at lower speeds my bike is making a clunky sound, i don't know if its normal or not as iv never had any thing chain driven. i'll try to explain it best I can. when cruising around at lower speeds, say in 2nd gear i'll let off the throttle for a second to slow down just a little, then give it a relatively small amount of throttle to cruise, when I do this, it sounds like a clunky noise from near the front of the motor area more or less. like there is slack in the drive line/tranny or something. its not super loud, but loud enough to give me worry, . I thought it might be slack in the chain or something and thus normal but as its a new 7k atv I cant help but be a bit worried lol. also the chain looks and feels the same as at the dealer which I was told was the right amount of tightness but for all I know it could be something wrong some wear.

so does this sound normal? thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

probably just the slight slack in the chain slapping.. don't worry about it. your ears are being over sensitive. Ride it enjoy it

Old 05-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably one of those things you normally wouldn't hear if you had your helmet on! j/k, sort of That is probably pretty normal. The chain will stretch a bit at first. Your owners' manual will tell you the correct amount of play, how to measure it, and how to adjust it. A properly adjusted and maintained chain will last longer and usually won't leave you stranded.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies zrock and scooter. I know its common for new owners to hear things that are not there lol but I can not only hear it but feel it as well, hopefully as you say its just a bit of loose chain. iv only rode it a day though and it was doing this right away. well its got a 6month warrenty so I guess if something was not put togather right at the factory it'll get a lot worse befor 6 months is up I just have such horrible luck with products, its like im cursed. bought a f150 about 10 years ago, 1 month in the motor blew lol. bought a caddy deville a few years ago, today it has had to have all 4 window motors and assemblies replaced, new set of michellien tires, one had tred separation at 90mph 4 months after buying it That was a fun ride lol. Any way, thanks for the replies, I do appreciate it a lot.