Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Need to sell utv how to go about it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to sell utv how to go about it?

i need to sell my 2010 Polaris rzr, I want to sell it with the trailer and a brand new plow I haven't put on it yet. I'm not really looking to make money off of it I just want to sell everything together for what I owe on the Polaris itself so basically I'm willing to let it go cheap to get it gone. The question I have if anyone can help is what do I do to transfer the Polaris to someone else if I get a buyer? I'm not sure of all the paperwork needed for the process... please help! Thanks

Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would help to know what state you are in. Have you ever registered it with the local DMV?

Old 02-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably need to pay it off to get the title from the finance company/bank. Most folks are going to be hesitant to buy. Friend of mine got a good deal in Michigan on a nice Ram PU. Owner was going to pay it off and mail my friend the title. Owner was a Michigan state trooper, so my friend trusted him. 2 years later, no title. He never could register it in Maine. Perhaps a dealer will buy it from you.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its hard to sell a machine that you still owe money on. Each state is different on title registration. I live in Illinois and we have titles for everything but just over the river in Missouri, its inconsistent on whether a newer machine has a title or not. How much do you owe and how much are you trying to sell it for? Dealers will buy especially if you're willing to sell cheap. They will gladly resell for a profit. As long as you can show proof of ownership and can show how much you owe like a current statement on your loan, you can probably make a deal.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Advertise the whole kit and kaboodle at the attractive price you are suggesting. Find a "qualified" cash buyer who wants the thing. Then explain the situation to your buyer. An interested buyer can prepare a bank draft to the lien holder institution, get the lien release, and then have you sign over the title to the buyer right there in the lender's office. Now the buyer has a clear title coming in the mail.

It is a hassle to sell something that doesn't belong to you. Maybe you are "underwater" on the RZR meaning you owe more than you can sell it for. But the lender has to get paid before they release the title, and you want to get from under this debt load. Where there is a will, there is a way. These "liquidation" deals happen frequently for vehicles, houses, and the like.

David

Old 02-15-2017, 03:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where are you located? Just curious how much are you asking? I actually am considering buying a rzr myself.