Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

horse trailer conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Default horse trailer conversion

Recently bought a new UTV (side x side) and I am thinking about an enclosed trailer. Damn they are expensive so......I am seeing a number of smaller 2 horse semi-enclosed horse trailer used for sale and just wondering...has anyone tried fitting a side x side into a 2 horse trailer?
I don't know what the inside dimensions are, I looked up dimensions but they only give outside dimensions so......are the 2 horse trailer wide enough to fit a UTV inside? Any one with any experience on this I would appreciate your expertise.
I currently have a 7x10 ft tilt bed, side by side atv trailer but it is open and thinking an enclosed type trailer might be safer for the UTV.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

No idea if they will fit. But a horse trailer is a pretty heavy trailer. Remember they are designed to keep the 4 legged wonders in and not kick or fall out. Not sure about your area but i quite often see good deals on used enclosed trailers.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have occasionally thought of buying a horse trailer myself. Mine would be to both store and haul my atv as my shed has seen better days. I think a 2 horse trailer would be plenty wide enough for your Kymco as its not nearly as wide as a Rzr XP. You'd have to make sure its tall enough too so you have enough clearance as well. Though as Zrock says, I have seen used enclosed trailers relatively reasonable. Here's a 6x12 with a rear ramp door brand new for $2695 near me 2016 Patriot 12' Enclosed Trailer

Old 03-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yea but in my area used horse trailers with good tires and bearings are 1000 or less, might need some paint or other cosmetic work but 1800 in my pocket is better for me.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:54 AM
Super Quad Patrol

if it works for ya go for it.. just a few thing to remember. walls are all built inside wheel wells so measure twice all the ones i have seen are wood floors and prone to rot due to crap and ****, barn doors on back so u will need ramps. And as well as the weight all the ones i seen are made of mild steel for the walls instead of alum like cargo trailers so make sure your tow veh is up to the task of pulling the additional weight. Other than that you could make a cool little hauler out of them. Most of the ones i have seen have a separate area up front for horse gear so you could turn that into gear storage/camping area.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

You are right on the inside measurement, I have check a couple that are not wide enough. My tow vehicle is rated to 4500lbs and I tow my 22' boat with no problem so a UTV hauler should be no problem. Just hard to swallow the price tag on an enclosed trailer that I will only use a few times a year. I like making and designing my own unique things. I designed my own side load atv trailer and had a welding company build, they liked it so well they wanted to use my design to build more for themselves. There were a lot of horse trailers for sale in my area but suddenly they are disappearing.....is some one else using my idea as an ORV trailer? LOL

Old 03-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was just checking my local craigslist for horse trailers. Some 2 horse trailers but they appeared to be too short to fit a utv and still about $1500 and noticeable rust. A 4 horse trailer would obviously be big enough but are much heavier. I just saw one for $1500 that looked very rusted. I guess around here, people keep their horse trailers until they are basically so old and used up that they really aren't worth buying. It kinda makes that trailer I posted earlier on this thread look a lot better now. Yes, it is more expensive but its brand new so no worries about whether the frame might break in half because its rusted out. Honestly, if you don't plan to trailer your utv that often, your current trailer sounds like it is more than capable. As long as its big enough and you have good tie down points, I'd just keep using it. In my area, I see very few large enclosed trailers. Pretty much everyone uses a trailer like yours or one a little bigger like a car hauler to haul their atvs and utvs.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

It sounds like used horse trailers are much higher in your neck of the woods than in mine. However from the dimensions I have checked most of the 2 horse trailers have been 10-11 ft in length, I only need 108". However you are probably right on just using what I have, it tows great and no problems with it handling the UTV, in fact being a tiltbed as well as a side loader I won't need the ramps, just ride on and allow the bed to drop. I do this with my mower and it works great. Being a new machine I was worried about road debris, stones etc getting on the new ride as well as security. I have a trailer cover mfg for semi trucks not far from me, I am going to see what a full trailering cover will cost. Had some made for my ATV's many years back and those things wear like iron, probably at least 12 years old and still like new other than discoloration from age. Even using both of the old covers they will not fit the new ride so....got to spend some more money..LOL

Old 03-07-2016, 10:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol

What a friend did with his open trailer is got some checker plate alum. When't about 4 -5 foot high in the front and the sides and ran it down the side of the trailer 3-4 feet. Boxing in the front kept his machine clean. On my truck i run one of those rock tamers to keep the crap from flying up. I have a few more mods to do to it as it was meant for a different veh so a little bit of crap is getting between the bumper and rock tamer. Easy fix when i get a few min.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A cover would be the cheapest and easiest way to go. You just use it whenever you need it and put it away when you're not hauling. Prices vary wildly though. Most are really only designed to protect the machine when storing, trailering not so much. This one isn't that expensive and comes with straps to help keep it in place when hauling. Its a bit of a universal fit but says its big enough for a Rhino or Ranger Midsize, both of which are bigger than your Kymco. One user even got one for a Viking, which is quite a bit bigger than the Kymco and though it was a snug fit, it worked.
http://www.amazon.com/WATERPROOF-SUPERIOR-PROWLER-RANCHER-FOURTRAX/dp/B008KPYDD2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=61pXHKJfx1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1KBKCKQ5S9J0ACK62FRS http://www.amazon.com/WATERPROOF-SUPERIOR-PROWLER-RANCHER-FOURTRAX/dp/B008KPYDD2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=61pXHKJfx1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1KBKCKQ5S9J0ACK62FRS

Quick Reply: horse trailer conversion