Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Make ATVs Street Legal

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Make ATVs Street Legal

Where to ride? Where are the ATV trails? Where is a group I can ride with?

All questions owners of street legal dirt bikes, or motor scooters, or even bicycles don't have to answer. They can ride on the secondary roads near their homes.

If your state allows ATVs on restricted roads, count your blessings. Now you can ride down a lovely secondary road. You can ride to the local gas station for fuel, bread and milk. You can ride to your neighbor's and help plow snow. You can deliver produce from your garden to your neighbors. You can run an errand at the local hardware store. You can take a pretty ride around the lake with a friend. Or maybe you can ride to your nearest ATV trail. Your ATV is much more useful if you can ride on secondary roads.

More and more states are passing street legal ATV laws. Maybe the number of states is over 20 now. My neighbor states around Colorado are ATV street legal states. Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Kansas are street legal states. ATV trail riding and backcountry exploring is very popular here in the Rockies.

Generally, here are the street legal requirements:
1. Safety Inspection
2. Registered with the DOT
3. Motor Vehicle Insurance
4. Driver's License for the Operator
5. Required Equipment:
a. Headlights, Tail Lights, Brake Lights
b. Rear Reflectors
c. Turn Signals, Right and Left Side, Front and Rear
d. Brakes
e. Muffler
f. Rear View Mirrors
g. Windshield or Rider has Eye Protection, Helmet
h. Speedometer, Lighted for Night Riding
6. Street Legal ATVs can not exceed 45 mph when ridden on roads
7. ATVs can not be ridden on limited access Interstates or Turnpikes
8. Vehicle License Plate Displayed with a Night Light on the Back of the Vehicle
9. Operator complies with all federal, state and local traffic laws

Many states give cities authority to restrict or ban ATV riding in their jurisdiction. For example Salt Lake City is not an ATV city.

I fully understand ATV manufacturers do not want street legal machines because they do not design the vehicle for on highway use. Their literature clearly states this. But farm equipment isn't on highway legal either. We do it because it makes sense. If I ride my ATV on the roadway and roll my ATV over going too fast on a curve, I clearly understand it is not the manufacturer's fault.

I also understand all terrain tires are not great for hard surface riding. I would have a set of "street tires" on my ATV for most riding and work, and a set of "trail tires" for soft soil trail riding or snowy days. People do this with snow tires on their cars all the time.

If you are not interested in riding your ATV on the roadways, that's fine. You don't need the street legal requirements and you can enjoy your machine on your property or designated ATV trails just like you do now. ATVers are not used to street riding, and some don't want anything to do with it.

Help me promote street legal laws in our states so we can enjoy our ATVs more and take some pressure off the few precious ATV trails we have.

David

Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Back Country Explorer

I ment to ask, but forgot. Have any of you been involved with your county or state governments promoting street legal ATVs? State legislators don't usually write laws unless petitioned by the citizens. If you were involved, can you give some advice on what the process would be?.

Thanks,

David

Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few places in Maine where you can ride on the main roads, at least we have excellent trails, most of northern Maine is accessible by ATV'S and snow sleds. It's all about the money, when they discover ATVers buy gas, like to drive to their favorite restaurant, lodge, etc. Also, they take up less parking space in the towns. Personally, think they are fine on any secondary road with speed limit 50 and under. I mean, they let Smart cars on the turnpike with 75 mph limits...

Old 01-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Back Country Explorer

hydrex: Thanks for your post. Have you been "rolling coal" with your diesel powered ATV?

Legalizing ATVs for street use is about economic benefit outweighing the costs. ATVers would pay a yearly registration fee and a license fee. There may be a required safety inspection fee. These fees help keep the lights on at the courthouse. They can help defray costs associated with the very slight extra work our Highway Patrol and Deputy Sheriff would in counter with another vehicle class on the roadways.

Moab, UT, is a classic example of an ATV tourists destination where ATVs are welcome on all streets. I hope to ride a trail there someday. In Silverton, CO, there are huge numbers of ATV and OHV tourists riding a 60 mile loop between three towns called the Alpine Loop. ATVs fill main street during the summer months. Colorado has over 80 ATV and OHV trails and old roads. In my area, our group could ride 10 miles to the Buck Snort bar and grill down a very scenic dirt road following Elk Creek and buy lunch. Many touring motorcycle folks stop there for a break. Then we could fly fish the North Branch of the South Platte river and ride home.

Making ATVs street legal makes our machines more useful at home in many ways as discussed above.

David

Old 01-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont see it being an adopted practice nationwide. The towns near large trail systems like in Colorado, West Virginia and Moab rely on atv riders for income so it greatly benefits them to allow street access. Beyond that, individual towns will allow it but it just won't happen everywhere.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Back Country Explorer

I read here on ATVConnection that Minnesota recently passed a street legal ATV law. Utah did last year. I don't have an accurate tally of the street legal states, maybe we can start one here. I think it is around 20.

I see it as a state law issue, which often has provision for local governments to opt out if their citizenry concours.

I saw a modified offroad Bronco in town today. It was outfitted with a rollbar, winch, and huge tires. I'll bet this old geezer 70s Bronco is used to travel some of the old mining roads designated for such vehicles. This vehicle reminded of a BIG ATV. Short, narrow wheelbase and very high center of gravity. ATVs have better suspension systems and brakes. This thing had license plates and is driven on the roadways.

I believe more and more "rural" states will pass street legal ATV laws. I hope Colorado will soon.

David

Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Back Country Explorer

I was happy to learn that Tennessee has a street legal ATV law. I don't have the particulars, but I understand it is a register and license plate law.

I believe allowing street legal ATV riding would take some of the pressure off the off highway trails. We ATV enthusiasts enjoy riding our machines and going places. Why not organize an ATV tour down a scenic dirt road to a rural restaurant for lunch, and then back again. It might be easier than a long drive to a ATV trail. The public secondary roads are already maintained, policed, and not likely to close.

David