Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I wonder why the Kawasaki Tecate never cought on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wonder why the Kawasaki Tecate never cought on?

they were about equal in power wise (lt 250,250r,tecate) but the kawasaki 250 is knowned for amazing TOP END power ouput,so in the long run it was always faster...
it was light,fast,and snappy powerband.

Old 08-16-2003, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

We have one that rides with us all the time. It is very fast, as fast as some banshee's. I think that it is the only quad that came from the factory with a powervalved motor. It handles about like a banshee IMO and not much wheels travel, which isnt very good in todays world, but it is very fast.

Old 08-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Ok lets make things clear ...no stock quads are fast.

Old 08-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Range Rover

Hmmm, all depends what you consider fast, considering if you compare to the rest which you should be yeah, otherwise you probably think the sleds out nowadays are slow too, compared to a crotch rocket that is.... Apples to apples, oranges to oranges man.... stock vs. stock, mod vs. mod.... 50HP is impressive when the average quad is lucky to make much more than 30 tops no matter what the bore! So it may be pathetic to you, but we're stuck with the lineup we got, till they make 130+HP quads like they do sleds obviously you won't be happy, but it's all in the handling and the machines nowadays stock can't handle any more hp then that, the quads just can't take it suspension wise until they start really cranking up the technology for them to handle it like sleds... Plus, sleds need that much more HP to turn a much heavier hp robbing track, much more rolling resistance than quads or street bikes.... Can you push a sled around like you can a bike or quad? If so, not for long! Each has their place, we're talking stock man... From the dealership.... And the zilla is by far the highest HP quad to come from the dealership, or modable with just bolt ons, no overbore to get the most HP outta it too...

Old 08-17-2003, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

i know all about sleds i own two of them...

Old 08-17-2003, 12:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i had the 250r three wheeler and that tecate three, the tecate was fast but man i was always having to work on that thing. but that was about as much as they were good for fast and a lot of repair that magnito/stator thing was a real pain. the new fourstrokes make alot more fun with a lot less work.

Old 08-17-2003, 03:14 AM
Pro Rider

In the early 80's my Dad had a tecate 3-wheeler.... It was the 7th fastest atv/atc in the USA at the time.... He has the national trophy to prove it...

Old 09-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought one of the last new Tecate-4's in the country. At the time I also had an '88 250R I raced in Hare Scrambles (I still have my Honda). Bone stock, I would put the Kawie against any other 250. Period. It would put eight bike lengths on my 250R, and it was modified! That being said, you could kick a tire on it and total it. It was the weakest made quad I have ever seen. My first trail ride after breaking it in, I hit a jump that I routinely hit on my 250R, landed perfectly, and bent the rear axle!! My buddy rode it in a Hare Scramble, and bent the frame, just from normal race conditions!! I ended up selling it to him, and here is where it gets good. He seized it after about two weeks. Well, you either resleeve it, or buy a new cylinder(electrofusion plated). I replaced the boot that runs from the carb to the engine earlier because it looked like it was rotting, basically because it sat for so long before I bought it. The dealer ordered the wrong part (good thing) and I ended up with an '88 KX250 boot. The inside of the boot was drastically larger than the quad boot, maybe even 40% larger. So when he seized it, I took a gamble and ordered a complete '88 KX250 top end. The quad uses an '86 KX motor. Everything bolted right up, and the difference was staggering. It had an FMF pipe, an Answer VFC silencer, a Uni filter, and an Answer Roost Boost. There was no comparison to what it once was. We made a trip to the beach, and it would spank anything, including a full Trinity motored LT500 that our friend had. If they had built those monkeys better than they did, I am sure you would see more around today. Not as fast, but I still have my Honda, and I just bought an '03 DS650 that I really like. Any of the old two strokes are still fun to ride, maybe even more than the newer four stroke quads. Hind sight is 20/20, but I would have bought a couple of each (or bought until I was broke, which ever came first) just to have them around now.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

RELIABILITY ISN'T AN ISSUE IF NORMAL MAINTENENCE IS PERFORMED. I'VE OWNED A 86 TECATE SINCE NEW AND AFTER THE STATOR ISSUE WAS CORRECTED, EVERYTHING ELSE HAS BEEN A PIECE OF CAKE. I HAVE ANOTHER 86 TECATE THAT I PUT A KX500 MOTOR IN AND THE 250 ENGINE I TOOK OUT WAS STILL ON THE STOCK BORE (15 YEARS OLD). IF YOU TAKE CARE OF YOUR STUFF IT WON'T BECOME CRAP!

Old 09-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I bought a used tecate 4 last year in running shape for 1000 dollars. It had everthing on it from the factory, not a single missing part. It had sat in a barn for many years and the frame and chrome looked bad and the plastic scratch. It would start right up. Many hours and 400 dollars later it looked and ran the part. I had the front bumper/nerfs/foot pegs and the pipe rechromed and painted the frame. Bought a new silencer, v-force reeds. Sanded the plastic and refinished it. My friend cut me some decals for it and it looked new. It even had works shocks with rezzies up front. It was pretty fast, took out a few piped banshes and raptors. I broke the kick starter one day and that was all that broke while i had it. My kid was always bugging me to let him ride it. I sold it for no real reason (2500) and the new owner calls me from time to time telling me how thrilled he is to have it. The 400ex's warriors and stock rappy's always try to pick on him he says. It does not take long for him to shut them up.

I liked it better than the 250r or 250lt. I have never ridden one on a mx track.

Quick Reply: I wonder why the Kawasaki Tecate never cought on?