Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

help..... starter goes but spins backwards!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help..... starter goes but spins backwards!!!

What do you mean by putting the brushes in backwards? I have never seen a motor where the brushes could be put in backwards to cause a reverse rotation. Are you just assuming that since the engine isn’t turning over that the starter motor is turning backwards? If so then you obviously have very little understanding of how a starter works. There are NUMEROUS causes for a starter gear not moving out to engage the flywheel gear. The starter turning backwards is just one of the many possible reasons.

I'm not saying that your starter can't be turning backwards. It just sounds like you think that is the only explanation for the starter spinning without also turning the engine over. However, I doubt that anyone bright enough to buy a Yamaha could be that brain dead. Perhaps if you were a Polaris owner...

Just jerk'n yer chain BBS.

Old 07-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

ya i had it apart it only goes back together one way from what i saw... and it still spins backwards even if i use a battery booster so the 4-wheelers batt and all is right... but if i take the booster and hook it up backwards it spins the correct way.... the gear in the motor the starter rides on... only catches one way ..... if its turned the other way it just freewheels and thats what its doing.... right now the gears are spinning toward eachother... they should go opposite.... as i belive someone said earlier on here

Old 07-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Did you pull the starter gear cover off and see that its spinning? It could be your one-way is totally out bro.

Old 07-03-2004, 03:21 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: RaptorOwner
Did you pull the starter gear cover off and see that its spinning? It could be your one-way is totally out bro.

ya i've have had it apart... far as i know that gear and shaft are one peice, and whats my one-way??

thanks man

Old 07-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Go to raptortranny.com and check out the excellent instructions of the starter throw out bearing replacement. Nice pics and the instructions are very detailed. You can do this fairly easily. Another set of hands doesnt hurt. Your starter is free wheeling most likely because your throw out bearing is shot. Mine failed in the exact same way. Starter turned, bearing never engaged or did engage sporatically. If you are not sure this is your problem, have it checked out then replace it yourself.

Old 07-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the info man... but a warriors starter is alot diff than a raptor... the starter comes off and complety out with 2 bolts.... i pulled off my left case cover earlier... and kinda stopped there...>>but when it did work i did always get some clunking noises from the starter like it mentioned at raptortranny.com.... so mab i do....... a one-way is new to me i've never heard of them before dont quite understand them much yet either

ahh later

Old 07-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

wooohooo its fixed now.... finally got somone older than me that had more knowledge about them he looked at it and turns out it was a bad connection down by the brushes... and mab it was index'ed wrong.. she works now yaaaa

thanks for all the help tho later

Old 11-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: cotton
wooohooo its fixed now.... finally got somone older than me that had more knowledge about them he looked at it and turns out it was a bad connection down by the brushes... and mab it was index'ed wrong.. she works now yaaaa

thanks for all the help tho later

it sounds as if i am having the same issue witha friends warrior.
can you explain in more detail of have pics of what was wrong with your starter?

right now, it sounds like the starter is spinning but not turning the engine. tried to puch start it , that didnt work, but now the starter does. So hopefully there isa lose connection also.

please help.
thanks.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

It sounds like the one-way is going out and not engauging? I just had my one-way go out last weekend and I just got the L&A one-way kit with gear from Ripper Racing last Friday. I'll get it in this week. It will make that clunk noise especially on mis/non starts when the one-way is going out. When it goes out it will just free spin. It could start sporatically after it goes out the first time but it's pretty much dead at that point and you need to get new parts. Always replace the gear when replacing the one-way while you're in there.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:10 AM
Trailblazer

in a sence, yes, it does sound like the starter is spinning but not engaging. It is on a warrior and there is no throwout gear.

what direction should the starter be turning? Looking at the starter with the geared shaft pointed towards you, which way should it turn (clockwise or counter-clockwise)?

thanks.

Quick Reply: help..... starter goes but spins backwards!!!