Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Questions about my Raptor 700

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 03:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my Raptor 700

I have a 2006 Raptor 700 and have a few questions about it. This is my 1st quad so I don't really know what is supposed to feel like what, I just know how the Raptor is. It has about 35 hours on it and I alredy took it in for its 1st maintenance at 20 hrs.

I crashed and bent my handlebars so I need to get new ones, I like the feel of the stock ones. Where can I get a pair of bars that are similar to the stock ones and cheap?

When I decelerate or let off the throttle quickly my quad makes a sound like it is backfiring. Is this normal? I don't remember it doing that when I first got it.

I want to get new tires, I ride on pavement, in mud, dirt, rocky trails, etc... what would be the best tires? I like the feel of the stock tires but I don't know if thats just because thats all I know. I like being able to skid the back on turns but also want grip so I don't get stuck in mud. Which tires would you guys recommend?

Thnx for the help....

Old 12-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

i would go for tag x5 bars or a set of hi rise pro taper bars ,,as for tires i would go for slashers

Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

For handlebars, get a pair of ATV Bend Renthals, those are very close, if not identical to the stock bend.

For backfiring, did you take off the airbox lid or the baffle out of the exhaust? Backfiring means it is running lean. To fix this, put those parts back on that you took off, if you took any off. If you didn't take any parts off and it is backfiring, you will probably need to buy a Power Programmer to richen it up a little bit.

As for tires, go with Holeshot H-Ds or Maxxis Razr2's. Both are great tires, awesome traction and slide good as well.

Old 12-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright, I went and got new bars today and it still seems bent. When the tires are facing straight the clamp that is connected to the "steering stem or w.e" is not completley straight, it is off center, so therefore the handlebars are off center. Does this mean that it is bent or that it is just misaligned or something? The new handle bars make it not so noticeable, but it is still noticable when you look at it.

Also, the new bars I got are a bit wider, will this affect the ride much? It was $90 for a pair of Renthal "raptor 660 YFM bars", is that worth it or should I return them?

Is it hard to use a power programmer? I looked on ebay and didn't see any. Is it bad to ride my quad like this and just tell the mechanic when I get the next maintenance so he can fix the backfiring problem then? I didn't take the baffle off or anything off of my quad.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

If you paid $90 for a set of 7/8 Renthal bars, you got jipped. Maybe it's not the bars that are bent, but your stem?

As far as running it lean, I doubt it would really hurt it. Most quads usually come lean from the factory. Depending on how lean it is running, you should be fine for a little bit. If you are running really lean you will experience some engine problems.

The width, height, etc of the bars will not effect the ride at all, it is all just personal preference and what feels the most comfortable to you. Some people like running low bend bars like cr-high bend and other people like high bend bars like atv-bend, all personal preference.

I don't really know too much about how you install the power programmer really, though.

Sorry.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know for sure the bars are bent but I think the stem might be bent as well. How do I tell if it is bent? It just seems like it is turned a little too much to the right when the wheels are facing straight forward.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, does anybody know how to check if the stem is bent? Is it possible that it is just misaligned or something else?

Old 12-29-2005, 01:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

have the tires facing forward( line it up best u can) and then make judgements from there..

If you align one tire straight and one is either facing out or in.. try to get both tires angled the same.

since your quad is new both tires should be fairly parallel.

or

Line the bars up by judging fro mthe plastic or soemthing to help get them straight and then check the toe in and out of the wheels.

The stem is most likely twisted or a tie rod is slightly bent.

i know this sounds complicated but that is how i align my bike.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Both of my front tires are parallel and both are facing forward. The clamp that the handlebars go on is turned a little to the right. How do I check if a tie rod is bent or if the stem is twisted? I looked at it and it seems like so many things could be affecting this. Is it possible that my stem just got like twisted a bit to the right so now it is misaligned (kinda like the gyro on a trick bike when you fall and mess it up, how you have to straighten it back out) It seems like if my handlebar clamp was twisted a little to the left it would be perfect and the problem would be fixed, is there any way to realign it or something?

Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

well what u can do is adjust the tie rods evenly to turn the stem just enough to align it all...

my stem is bent and when riding i don't really notice it.

Quick Reply: Questions about my Raptor 700