Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrior problems!! (electrical, firing, ????)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warrior problems!! (electrical, firing, ????)

My cousin has a 2001 warrior, and it has some major problems. They have taken it to the polaris shop, and to numerous friends that have knoledge about four-wheelers. They have replaced everything electrical. You can push it, and then dump the clutch and it will not start, just backfire repeatedly. There is little to no fire at the spark plug. Also, they think the problem started when the battery cables rattled loose, and the ends broke. This may or may not have anything to do with the problem, they do not know. ANY imput would be apreciated.
Thanks in advance,

I think they should have just listened to me and bought a HONDA!!!

Old 02-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Just because everything was replaced doesn't mean it was properly hooked up, or that every new part is functional. I am assuming you also replaced the spark plug wire? I would start at the plug and work your way back. Warriors are great quads, and there is no reason in the world to buy a Honda over a Warrior.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Taking it to a Polaris shop is the 1st problem! Seriously doubt the problem was caused by the loose battery wires unless they shorted out. If it has the parking brake mechanism then that needs to be checked. If that's bad the rev limiter would be kicking in all the time and give you a wierd spark. Has the stator been checked or replaced?

For an engine to backfire, you need fuel and spark, so that tells me it actually has spark. The next thing to check is the timing. It's possible it jumped timing, and possibly bent one of the valves, or the exhaust valve is burnt, so a compression test would tell you more of what's going on there.

Oh and one other thing, if everybody owned a Honda, what fun would that be? And besides, somebody needs a Yamaha in your group to beat all of the Hondas!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

check the parking brake and make make sure its pushed in if its out that will cause it to back fire and Why would u take it to a POLARIS dealer

Old 02-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I made a mistake.... i said it was a polaris dealer, but i meant to say yamaha. I just refer to the place as the polaris shop, but it is really both polaris and yamaha.
and i agree. this has been a good four-wheeler for him until this crap happened. i dont really know much about it, they just asked me if i had any idea what was going on, and i dont, so i was just seeing what you guys had to say on the subject!

..... i will tell them about the things you have said, and hopefully it will work.