Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yfz advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yfz advise

I have an 04 Yfz 450 can anybody tell me anything I should or shouldn't do to the quad please. Also I am leaking gas from the overflow , gas is turned off and its still dripping out ,my mechanic is having a hard time with it any suggestions ? Please message me with any helpful tips , thanks

Old 10-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if gas is leaking from the over flow it is obviously your needle and seat.it's not cutting of the fuel flow once the proper fuel level in the fuel bowl is reached ,due to it sticking .you need to clean the carburetor and may have to get a rebuild kit for it.the fact that it is still leaking after you shut of the gas,means your fuel **** is not doing his job either and needs to be replaced .your mechanic should know this.(you don't need a mechanic for this).hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with heikoboehm. You just need to clean your carb. The float needle is sticking. Its a common thing. And if it still leaks after the bowl is drained with the gas valve off than the valve (petcock) is the problem. If your mechanic is payed by you i'd find a different one.

Other things to note....Not many, but one thing is on the front right side of the engine (if your sitting on the quad) you'll see a silver round plug. It's plugging a hole for the compression release that the engine had when in dirtbikes. Yamaha put plastic plugs in there. If it's still a plastic plug buy a metal replacement NOW. Because if you dont and it blows it will spray oil everywhere and burn up the engine if you dont notice it. Not to mention ruin a perfectly good day of riding.