Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New gas

recently i put in new 91 octane gas with some new yamalube 2 stroke oil and now it wont start first kick anymore. You think the gas isnt good for the engine or its sommething else. one day it starts first kick the other day it starts like 10th kick. maybe i need a new spark plug? but when it does start up it it idles perfect and accelerates much faster than the cheaper stuff i had in it before. But before it would always start first kick. Also the temperature has been in the mid sixties all week. btw its a blaster

Old 09-16-2014, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

What ratio did you mix the fuel/oil and what ratio was the old mixture? Typically a slightly higher octane won't make a noticeable increase in power, what will make a slight difference is cooler weather makes an engine run more lean which makes it run better.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

i dont know the exact mixture before but the mixture im running now is somewhere around 32:1 i had to add some more for 1.25 gallons i had in my little container. Also i think i need to rejet my carb to a 270-280 because i have a fmf pipe with a k&n air filter. Do you think i should rejet my carb. Im pretty sure its a stock 230 size jet in the carb

Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Trailblazer

To many variables, not the least of which is your shut down process. On a 2 stroke you should run the carb almost empty with the fuel petcock off. If its left on, most 2 strokes will seap fuel into the cases and will cause it to load up.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Originally Posted by adam5647
now is somewhere around 32:1 i had to add some more for 1.25 gallons i had in my little container. Also i think i need to rejet my carb to a 270-280 because i have a fmf pipe with a k&n air filter. Do you think i should rejet my carb. Im pretty sure its a stock 230 size jet in the carb
Sounds like you need a measuring cup for your oil so you can be more precise. Too much oil actually leans the fuel mixture out. You do need a bigger jet than stock for a K&N filter.