1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Herchee 2 cycle help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herchee 2 cycle help

hi folks,
i have a Herchee 90 that has a issue i cannot resolve and need someone with experience. It cranks and idles great. When trying to accelerate, it is slow, lethargic, and has no power. I have taken the Carb off twice and cleaned, adjusted the fuel/air, drained the gas, bypassed the fuel filter, checked the plug, removed the air filter, etc. When i push the throttle, it seems like it responds for the first quarter and then the rest of the throttle sees to do nothing.

I need some help figuring out what's wrong with this thing. Can anyone help?

Mark

Old 06-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Is the exhaust restricted?

Old 06-12-2009, 06:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sawyer,
The exhaust doesn't appear to be restricted. This ATV sat up for about 2 years when i purchased it this past Monday. It ran fine for two or three days although i did note that it was not that powerful. It ran out of gas yesterday and i filled it up for him and within an hours, he started telling me it would not pull itself up a hill; maybe coincidence. I drained that gas and put new in it but no difference. It has an automatic choke that does not appear to be working but thus far I cannot find any correlation with that.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

make sure the vent on the gas cap is working, I sold a china atv to a member here that kinda did similar things he told me the vent wasnt working (just a thought).

Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

yep, i tried it with the cap completely off and no difference.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

after re reading your last post you say the choke isnt working properly seems to me that choke could be the problem.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

The choke is a solenoid that energizes and pulls a small plunger up or down and appears to allow allow air flow to pull in more gas when energized. The solenoid is not working so the choke stays in the de-energized state, which should be no choke at all. I completely removed it and can't tell any difference.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

Ok so the sparke plug , air filter are good and the exhaust is free flowing etc. But you say it doesnt have any power after half throttle?

Do you have premix gas/oil or is oil injected?

Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sawyer, i have yet to verify the exhaust is free. I had to travel out of town and want be back till Thursday. I plan to check the exhaust first thing because i had a truck that acted just like this when the cat converter plugged up. It does start to rev up when you push the throttle but i would say that only about the first 1/3 of the throttle appears to do anything. After that, you can hear more moaning/groaning sound but no real speed difference. I sprayed some gasoline with a spray bottle into the carb intake while i had the throttle wide open and nothing....

Mark

Old 06-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi All,
Got back from my travels and fixed this dog in about 5 minutes thanks to someone who suggested i look at the spark arrestor. It was completely clogged. Now it runs great.

I do have one more question: the carb has a rubber boot that surrounds it and has a 1/2" tube that connects that boot to a plastic shroud on the cylinder wall. Is this thing necessary?

Thanks for all the help,

Mark

Quick Reply: Herchee 2 cycle help