ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   1) Engine problems.. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-engine-problems/)
-   -   brand new tao tao ATA-125D Setup (https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-engine-problems/324577-brand-new-tao-tao-ata-125d-setup.html)

konefour 03-16-2010 10:08 AM

Joel:
Thanks a bunch for the reply. I'm laughing and sighing relief at the same time. Looks like we've both been there done that with everything you mentioned.
Keith

OneTenCC 03-16-2010 10:26 AM

Keith, keep an eye on the tire air pressure as well. Mine were inflated rock hard from the factory. I aired them down, but a bit too much. A few weeks ago I snowblow'd a huge track (2ft of snow) out back for the kids to zip around in. I zoomed around the track a few laps to get the machine warmed (think of fat guy on a little quad here). All of sudden things didn't feel right.. I blew the right rear tire right off the rim!:eek: That was a real bugger to reseat/rebead in my 20degF garage. Had to soap up the bead and tighten a strap around the circumference of the tire to get it to seat.

Joel

chamwster 01-02-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by craigandjacob (Post 2905917)
has anyone ever just cut out part of the right panel for easy access to dipstick im going to try that it beats pulling guard off everytime

yes. I took a multi-tool and cut out the plastic so that I could check and put oil in easier. I made a filler pipe with 1/2 in cpvc pipe and a small funnel. That is how I was able to change the oil.

chamwster 01-02-2011 09:04 AM

Is the ata125 supposed to have a charging system to maintain the battery? If so, mine sure doesn't work. The battery dies after just a couple hours of use.

chamwster 01-02-2011 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by aaronrkelly (Post 2902985)
Also I believe that charge is NOT a automatic charger. If you just leave it on the charger you will cook the battery. Im a big fan of battery maintaniers......and a cheap one can be bought at WalMart for $20 or Harbor Freight for $8.

I think all battery cchargers are automatic. As the voltage in the battery being charged builds up it opposes the applied voltage from the charger and that limits the current. It eventually gets to or near zero.

OneTenCC 01-02-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by chamwster (Post 2988588)
Is the ata125 supposed to have a charging system to maintain the battery? If so, mine sure doesn't work. The battery dies after just a couple hours of use.

My ATA110 charges itself. It won't do much for you if the battery is dead, but it boosts itself back up to a strong start within ~20min of riding. These batteries have very little capacity being the size of a kid's juice-box. Is it possible your battery is bad? Are you getting over 12VDC on it? You should read ~14VDC on it w/ engine idling.

For long periods of sitting, I'll throw my cheap Harbor Freight Tools trickle charger on it. You can get them for around $7.

Joel

chamwster 01-02-2011 04:00 PM

Thanks Joel

Thanks for the reply Joel. It is a big help to know it's supposed to be charging.