1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

brand new tao tao ATA-125D Setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brand new tao tao ATA-125D Setup

Have a few questions regarding a new ATA-125D. The DVD and manual are worthless. TIA

1. Not sure, but we believe the machine came with transmission/motor oil in it from the factory. We weren't 100% sure so we started to pour a little 15w/40 oil in the machine and it immediately started leaking out the bottom of the motor onto the ground. Does that simply mean it was now over filled? We poured in the oil after removing the chrome screw at the top of the gear housing.

2. The tethered kill switch at the rear of the machine...should that just yank off? We pulled pretty hard but nothing came off.

3. There are no instructions on how to operate the remote control/alarm system. Can anyone tell us what the remote can be used for and how? Starting, killing, alarm, etc. And does it need programmed to the receiver?

4. We can't engage the emergency brake. Should you just pull the brake lever and press down the little pin? If so, we couldn't.

5. And finally, is the governor the little screw purtruding from the right handle?

6. Sorry, this is the final...the battery. It came with a charger so I assume the battery should be charged. But just once or how often does it need charged?

Thank you.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

1) sounds like you removed the wrong screw. The oil is already in the unit, but I would recommend draining the oil and adding 10w/40 and the oil is actually poured into hole from which you remove the dipstick (you will need to remove the foot rest to gain access.

2) Not sure on the kill switch

3) The remote is programmed at the factory. The lightning bolt is the start button. You may need to press 2x to start. the unlock button will turn the machine off. If the unit is not running the lock button will arm the alarm. You also likely have a panic button to sound the alarm.

4) Until the cable is broken in it is somewhat difficult, but you are correct pull in the lever and then push down the pin.

5) You are correct on the governer screw, the further in the screw goes the more restricted the throttle will be.

6) Battery will need to be charged before first use...seems I end up charging often as my son tends to run down the battery when attempting to start the machine.

I would recommend adding an in-line fuel filter between the tank and carb, replacing the oil, replace the spark plug and spending a little time tightening nuts...these few things will ensure less trouble down the road.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

Also I believe that charge is NOT a automatic charger. If you just leave it on the charger you will cook the battery. Im a big fan of battery maintaniers......and a cheap one can be bought at WalMart for $20 or Harbor Freight for $8.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

THANKS for the replies.

And I did find the panic button! It almost made me panic :-)

And if we did pour oil in the wrong hole, then where did we pour it and will that be an issue?

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:22 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by konefour
And if we did pour oil in the wrong hole, then where did we pour it and will that be an issue?
Welcome to the forum konefour!

Which side of the engine did you pour the oil into? could you post a pic of where you poured the oil in? It more than likely wont hurt anything since it came out...

Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Welcome to the forum konefour!

Which side of the engine did you pour the oil into? could you post a pic of where you poured the oil in? It more than likely wont hurt anything since it came out...
Thanks for the welcome. It's our first ATV for my kids and I'm sure it won't be the last so I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible in the quickest amount of time, so thanks to all. They are alot of fun.

We poured a little oil in the left hand side. I believe it was the gear or transmission housing??? It was circular and it was where the shifter attached, and directly in front of the chain.

I'm also getting conflicting stories on the type of oil to use when I change the oil the first time. The manual says 15w-40 (which I believe is diesel) and I've been told 10W-30

And BTW we did find the dipstick and we did find where to add oil. (behind the foot rest).

Thanks
Keith

Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by konefour
Thanks for the welcome. It's our first ATV for my kids and I'm sure it won't be the last so I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible in the quickest amount of time, so thanks to all. They are alot of fun.

We poured a little oil in the left hand side. I believe it was the gear or transmission housing??? It was circular and it was where the shifter attached, and directly in front of the chain.

I'm also getting conflicting stories on the type of oil to use when I change the oil the first time. The manual says 15w-40 (which I believe is diesel) and I've been told 10W-30

And BTW we did find the dipstick and we did find where to add oil. (behind the foot rest).

Thanks
Keith
Your Welcome. You will learn a few things..

Id say you poured it into the flywheel side... You might want to pull that side cover off and spray a little contact cleaner in there.. the oil will attract dust that will cause problem later..

I use Valvoline 10wt-40 in all of mine...

Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

has anyone ever just cut out part of the right panel for easy access to dipstick im going to try that it beats pulling guard off everytime

Old 03-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by craigandjacob
has anyone ever just cut out part of the right panel for easy access to dipstick im going to try that it beats pulling guard off everytime
I believe another guy here was going to do that very thing....not sure if he did or not, should be pretty straight forward and I would do it in a minute.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Range Rover

Yeah, I may have been the first on this board to "discover" Taotao built the footrest right over the engine oil fill cap for late 2009 models. I haven't hacked a hole in the footrest yet for it. On my particular model, with how the master cylinder for the rear brake is mounted, I still would have a hard time reaching the oil fill even with a gaping hole blown in the foot well. The 7 screws come off in a cpl minutes. In regards to the hand brake w/ parking lock. Yes, that sucker is so stiff my kids cant work it. You have to pull HARD to get it closed enough to engage the parking brake lock pin. I have also never used the rear tether due to the fact it feels like it's glued solid in place! I've given it few good tugs but fear I'll rip the **** end off the machine along with the tether. I personally would stick with a 15w40 engine oil. I know the way my engine is basically enclosed and my kids can barely putt-putt around at this point, it runs scorching hot. A 40wt will take the heat better. A cycle or outdoor power quip 10w40 is great too and probably more popular with ATV guys. I just go with the 15w40 because it's cheaper and easier for me to source. Oh and konefor, like said, you initially added oil to the startor housing on the engine. You're probably the 100th person on this board alone to have done that to a China quad.

Joel

Quick Reply: brand new tao tao ATA-125D Setup