1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

I need help!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help!!!!!!!!

i have a 2006 chinese atv pic on my profile of my atv. i'm having problems with it getting gas. it starts and everything but we try and take off and it sputters really bad and dies. i;m no where near mechanically inclined so this will prolly sound funny lol. but if you are looking at the engine from the side and follow it up to the front of the atv you have that chrome looking piece in the very front. what's that called? and if you are standing in front or lying down like you have to ,to see it , it's under the bottom bolt on my rightside of the engine. there is a hole there. not like it was cut into it but deformed looking. is that supposed to be there or was there something suppose to be there and maybe fell out. please help thanks

Old 10-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a little history?
so , has quad been sitting for months? let's have you check & make sure the brake operation is normal.
then let's have you clean the carburetor.(plenty of videos on youtube).
how to clean a carb on a ATV - YouTube
this carb may not be identical to yours, but the principles are the same.
other items to follow up on: make sure your gas tank cap is vented. several ways to do this, some quads have a hose on it, others have vented fuel caps. some more items to look at are: change the fuel filter, monitor flow of fuel from tank, through petcock valve, through fuel filter to end of hose. once you verify fuel flow. reinstall cleaned carb. that should help. the carb's jets have to have clean orifices. you'll see them once you tear into the carb. please check the float assembly. that allows fuel into the carb for the jets.
as far as your last point, without looking at the actual quad, it sounds like a stator vent?. if the shiny thing has fins, that'd be the cylinder. hmmm....i couldn't find your pics. but this will get you started. any more detailed info will be appreciated if this doesn't work for you.....

Old 10-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Without seeing the hole, it sounds like the same thing a chinese quad my brother in law bought. I was from a bad casting. Didn't hurt it, but just let you know what type of quality you could expect from the rest of it.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok i cleaned the carb out really wasn't bad at all but it's clean now. and yes it is the cylinder where the hole is. where the spark plug goes into the other cylinder i'm assuming that's what it is. i get it to start but like i said it loses power and sputters like it's bout to blow up. but the part wehre the spark plug goes mines a darker grey it gets really hot smells like it's burning and that's only a few seconds of running .

Old 10-08-2011, 02:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

i took pics but can't up load them??

Old 10-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you have to have several posts to do pics, but in the meantime, under your profile, make a picture album and we'll look at them there. if it runs real hot, sounds like it's running too lean....