1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

TANK 200cc

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TANK 200cc

I recently purchased this item and it will not start. It has sat for about a year, so I know the gas is bad. I have replaced the battery and the spark plug. Any ideas what would be the next step or where I could get parts?
The quad looks new, it would be a shame not to get it going.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's what to do on a quad that's been sitting a while and By The Way, congrats on the purchase. you are about to learn how to work on them so this will help you out on the trail if something were to go awry.
define no start: either the engine cranks and it won't fire up and run/idle, OR, you meant that the engine/starter will not turn over.
SO, i presume, with a new battery and spark plug, that it turns over. with that said, is the quad producing spark while cranking/turning over the engine with the starter? have you pulled out the plug, reconnected the plug to the coil wire, grounded it on the jug, cranked it and watched for spark? after you've established spark, by the way, a few things can prevent spark, but establish spark before proceeding.
you can clean the carburetor out anytime before you expect it to run. if you don't know how, here's a hyperlink to a video that'll show you. do not use a drill for a screwdriver like the person in the video does. how to clean a carb on a ATV - YouTube

the jets must be pulled for proper cleaning, be careful and don't lose parts. pay attention to the way the parts are installed while you're pulling them out so you can reverse your actions while reinstalling.
you need fuel, air, and spark. i'm sure the timing will be fine, you got those things, it ought to run. report back on what you've done and found. we'll go from there.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Jaster94 - Thanks for the info. I have worked on my old 82 Yz dirt bike after getting the manual. However this quad did not come with one. I am not sure what you mean by the
"jug". Would I leave the spark plug plugged into the cable and then, with it outside of the block try to crank it?
This weekend I will be doing the following to it: remove old fuel and replace with new. I was thinking of getting some carb cleaner and srapying that into the carb. Any thoughts?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jaster94
Forgot this earlier. Is it okay to use carb cleaner? When I replaced the battery, I went to crank it up and it sounded like it wants to run. I am going to assume that once I clean the carb and put fresh fuel in, it should start right up.
I will take some pics and post them this weekend.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

The previous advice was spot on. Pay careful attention to what he said, it is indeed ok to use carb cleaner however simply spraying it down the throat of the carb will produce minimal results because it has sat so long with old fuel in it. You will need to remove the carb and take it all apart and clean every jet and clean every orifice to ensure fuel flow.

Also remove the spark plug, put it back intot he boot and hold it against the block or head and crank the engine. You should see a blue spark be careful not to shock yourself by touching the spark plug during this procedure.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i concur. if it wanted to start because you put a lighter hydrocarbon in the carburetor, then now you'll have a fuel delivery issue. hence, clean the carb. float/needle seat, both jets, every nook and cranny. if the video doesn't give good enough detail for you, search youtube and you'll find other videos that can help. when cleaning a carburetor, i use copious amounts of carb cleaner, compressed air, and an oxy-acetylene torch tip cleaner pack. that little jill has plenty of choices to get inside and outside of the jets and down the inside of the jet axially (long ways internally). make sure you can see daylight through all of the orifices and down the inside of the jets. also make sure that the needle valve has no issues or is sticking. if it sticks, it'll either be stuck open (will flood) or stick closed (no fuel). cleaning the carb is very critical! don't get in a hurry and please keep up with all of the parts. them little springs and needle valve can be easy to lose. good luck!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

It worked, started right up after cleanung the carb fully removed the gunk buildup. I found that the smallest of the two jets was blocked. Nobody has parts for these models where I live. Each place i went said approx the same thing. Which was to use the smallest drill bit(1/16) to clear the blockage, I did just that and she will start up and then rev high. Throttle issue? Thoughts?
P.S. I did notice the thumb throttle does stick when I press it, then pull it back, however the engines rev does not change.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever get it running right. Mine is doing the same thing. I got a new carb for it and everything. What octane of fuel are you running in it? I read that they need a higher octane. I am going to try that when i get back home. Let me know if you found out anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If i find out anything i will let you know.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

when you took the carb apart, the slide can be reintalled incorrectly. make sure the grooves on the slide match the notches inside of the throat of the carb. if they don't, that can cause a high rev condition. the slide should go quite a ways down inside till it bottoms out. double check and make sure your cable is acting normally also. verify the spring operation too.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

So this is a little off topic and i feel stupid for asking this question, but does anyone know how to adjust the chain on this beast? My chain is loose and i want to tighten it up a little bit. I have looked this thing over and cant find out how. I had no problems finding it on my yamaha, but as far as the tank i dont know how.

Quick Reply: TANK 200cc