1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

E-ton Yukon YXL project

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 03:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-ton Yukon YXL project

So, I have a 2003 E-ton Yukon YXL 150 project. The quad runs okay with one issue. The transmission, big surprise. It shifts and engages into FWD, Neutral & Reverse just fine but there is a horrible clunking you can hear and feel radiating from the final shaft (PN 800277) when you drive FWD. I can recreate the noise by rotating the rear wheels while the quad is on the stand in both Neutral and FWD. Just to be clear, the noise is not present when operating the engine with the gearbox in Neutral and the wheels are not turning. I mention this because it eliminates the engine as a source. I will be cracking open the gear case soon but wanted to see if anyone here had experience with this project or issue. Also, I am looking for someone who would share their E-ton Yukon Service Manual.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have the same machine and i currently have the transmission torn apart rebuilding it. the previous owner had stripped 2 gears. splines? what splines? that's what it looks like. so i have no experience in what you've described. but once i put this tranny back together, i can reply back. sorry i don't have a yukon manual. i'm attending the school of hard knocks!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you, Jaster94. I assume you had to remove the entire engine assembly to get at the transmission, is that right? Also, did this project require any bearing pullers or presses for this transmission? I will end-up getting the manual. I'll scan you a copy.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

oh yeah, it was much easier to pull the engine/tranny assembly out of the frame and have it sitting on my work bench. i used masking tape and a sharpie to label the quick connect wiring harness on the frame and engine sides. i just had to go easy with normal tools, nothing special. the only "special tool" i used was for the CVT drive, that was a pulley puller i bought at O'Reilly's. no biggie.
just pay special attention to dowel pins on the aluminum tranny/gearbox. you don't want to break that. make sure you locate every bolt. i missed 2 and dang near snapped the case. . but i went slow, found them all, and it came right apart. pay special attention to how the shifter is installed on the inside. keep the assembly sitting in the normal position as if it were still in the quad. don't turn it on its side or things will move and you won't know that until it's too late. OR, that you have pictures in the manual.
these CVT transmissions are the way to go as far as working on them. WOW, they're not totally easy, but the easiest i've done. yeah, we'll keep in touch.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

i'll post some pics of the tranny/gearbox. i'll post them either today or tomorrow. ok? the internal bearings are axial bearings. some of the gears have the bearings pressed on them. glad that some of the new gears will already have them installed per Eton. i'm thankful. but give me a little time and i'll post pics either on this post or in my album. i'll give you a shout.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

here's my tranny/gearbox torn apart. just ordered 2 new parts, i can take pics of the gears going back in to it if you'd like. let me know.

Attached Thumbnails E-ton Yukon YXL project-img_0421.jpg   E-ton Yukon YXL project-img_0422.jpg  
Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

my parts came in. pics to come as i put this thing back together!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

jetennes, i replied on the other thread about Yukons. i got the album pics posted in an album and some on that other thread. check it out!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

got all of the parts in and now i got some time off, SO, the Eton will get worked on and be running by this weekend. i'll put the tranny back together either tomorrow or the next day. BUT, she will be running very, very soon. will post back.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Smile Almost finnished

So, I have also gotten my gearbox back together. I installed the Service Bulletin #22 improved gear set. Wow what a difference. Shifts into rear, neutral & foreword smoothly. I have been having trouble getting it to start due to a battery which couldn't hold a charge. I replaced the battery yesterday and guess what. I fried a ground wire to the AC generator. This happens when you remove the entire wire harness and try to clean it up. SO, now I am getting a new 6 pole AC stator, CDI and wire harness. It has been a fun project. I will have just over $1000 into this thing before its all over. That includes the price I paid for the Quad.

Quick Reply: E-ton Yukon YXL project