1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

No Key for Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012 | 09:28 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default No Key for Ignition

We have a chinese atv and lost the key. Four pin ignition harness, red, green, black, and black with white stripe. We want to just bypass the ignition and wire in an on, off switch. How would we configure the above four wires. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 10-04-2012 | 06:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

you don't have to do that. you can either buy another ignition switch for $10 or go to your local locksmith and spend $10-15 for him to make a key. just unplug the ignition switch and take it to him. he'll obviously do the rest. that's what i did, took him 15 minutes and i had a new key for the original ignition and i don't regret it. just my two cents.

Old 10-25-2012 | 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Most 4-wire key switches are actually two switches built into one, controlling an ignition kill and a power feed circuit. When the key is OFF, the power circuit (green and one of the blacks???) will be Open and the ignition kill (ground) circuit will be Closed. Turn the key to ON, and the ignition kill circuit is Open and the power circuit Closes.

Pretty easy to get a replacement key, as said above.

If you *do* want to bypass the key switch, you can permanently connect the power circuit and leave the ignition kill wires unconnected and capped so they don't ground unintentionally. Be aware that doing so will mean anybody can walk up and turn the lights on, crank the engine, etc and drain the battery. You'll need another ignition kill switch, which many of these seem to have on the left handlebar.

Having done both on two different chinese atv's, I'd go get another key made.