1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

2006 HiBird HS 250

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did find one pin not fully seated. Seemed to turn over a bit better after pushing that in. The batt leads still get hot and smoke though. I haven't got a carb tool yet to adjust the air/fuel mix. Coming soon.

I have a different issue... oil around the seam right above the spark plug. I can see the oil bubbling in and out at the seam and smell it burning.

Is that the valve cover?
I have some red rtv, can I pull it and reseal with that?
Would this cause hard starting, oil "making", etc.?

Here is a picture of the area.
http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...2-16-46-06.jpg

Old 10-22-2013, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

Fwoolley, How much oil is in the ATV, or oil level? I looked at the Honda 1998 XR 200cc engine parts diagram and it did not show any gasket for it.
The wire still gets hot because its probably spec'd at the borderline to carry that type of current...I will be replacing mine soon.
I think I figured out my electrical no spark sometime issue..I have to slide my headlight switch up and down a few times when I don't get spark. Most likely related to the turn signal kill switch. You are getting there!!

Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by wsy3benz
Fwoolley, How much oil is in the ATV, or oil level? I looked at the Honda 1998 XR 200cc engine parts diagram and it did not show any gasket for it.
The wire still gets hot because its probably spec'd at the borderline to carry that type of current...I will be replacing mine soon.
I think I figured out my electrical no spark sometime issue..I have to slide my headlight switch up and down a few times when I don't get spark. Most likely related to the turn signal kill switch. You are getting there!!

Is the XR 200 the same motor? I'll probably pull the cover and check it out. I read somewhere about there possibly being an O ring at that seam on a similar atv.

I'll try the headlight switch too! Lol that's a good one but it makes sense.

I changed the oil a few days ago after filling it to begin with. It was empty when I got it. Its possible that I slightly overfilled. I drained some and snapped a photo of the level, will keep an eye on it. It sure turned grey fast and made me wonder! This is the level of it now. You can see the color.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

pull the kill switch wire from your cdi this will eliminate any kill switches from being faulty

Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
pull the kill switch wire from your cdi this will eliminate any kill switches from being faulty
Is that the black wire?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

Fwooley, if you have the 6 ping CDI..when you looking at the CDI and the 2 wire connector is on your right, it is the top wire. I don't have an account to post pics. In this forum there are some diagrams that can show you.
The engines are similar to a Honda design like my 200cc.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by wsy3benz
Fwooley, if you have the 6 ping CDI..when you looking at the CDI and the 2 wire connector is on your right, it is the top wire. I don't have an account to post pics. In this forum there are some diagrams that can show you.
The engines are similar to a Honda design like my 200cc.

Hmmm. Ok Is this it? This has the black wire I was referring too (top) and a green wire. This also has the spark plug wire coming from it

Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Trailblazer

Fwoolley, that is not the CDI..that is the coil. The CDI is a little black box w 2 connectors on it ..or 1 depending on the CDI.
On mine the CDI was located mounted on frame under Left rear fender.
if you find it take a look at the connectors and wiring. A loose one causes a lot of no spark.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 PM
Trailblazer

the black and yellow wire on your coil should lead to the CDI.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If I remember correctly mine was black and white

Quick Reply: 2006 HiBird HS 250