1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

cdi swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow cdi swap?

Hello everybody, i am new to the forum, i am hoping some of you guys are able to help me out with an issue i have run into, i bought a used 2001 kasea 90cc atv with the hopes of fixing it for my son and daughter, i own a honda 250x 1987 and this little kasea has me racking my brain lol, my issue is that it has no spark, and the wiring was all spaghetti wrapped, so i eliminated the wiring and tried something i found for a drr setup which deleted the harness and only used the wires from the cdi and the stator/magneto, my other problem was that there was no direction for the 3 wire plug coming from the stator, only the coil= orange, ground,blk/red and white/red and blk/white i believe, so i did the connections and got no spark so i bought a new ignition coil to match the new ngk plug, got no spark, so now i want to try the cdi and im wondering if i can use another cdi from a similar 90cc atv, reason being the kasea is hard to come by and very expensive vs. the other brands, another thing is that i know the wiring is not the same for drr,dinli,eton,apex and so on, so if posible i would greatly appreciate a class in wiring 101, im just a father trying to get a smile on his kids face, and get them outdoors and off the xbox Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word  boob tube etc, you get my point lol, thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

anybody, please? trying to have this information ready for the weekend so i can work on solving the issue at hand.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can find a wiring diagram for a cdi you can rewire it.. their are posts all over the internet on how to convert a 5 or 6 pin cdi to a 4 pin.. I found yours online for $55 compared to the 100 on ebay

Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

an you provide me with a link to where you found it? thanks for the help, is the kasea cdi a 5 or 6 pin?

Old 10-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how many pins you got right now? are the quick connects thoroughly engaged? sometimes the blades for the wires inside them quick connects will back out. so the quad is cranking/starter spinning and producing no spark? engine turning over just not firing up? right?

Old 10-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found an identical Chinese CDI box for a Kasea 125 on eBay for under $20.
It was a 6-pin AC-fired box. They are so cheap that it made sense
to buy one to help debug the ATV I had here. Turns out the stator was full
of dirt, and that killed the hi-voltage coil, so I converted to a DC box.
A new stator was $26, but you must have the tool to remove it.

When looking for parts, just try to match the picture and electrical connector.

I have also run into bad ignition switches and bad coil caps with Chinese
electrical parts.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

you guys are giving me alot to work with, for starters the kasea cdi is a square box with wires coming out of it, not like the typical scooter cdi so i see no pins, i will look on ebay for a 125 cdi and see if it is identical to the one i have, i have the atv stripped of ignition, battery, i want it set up to kick start only previous owner screwed with the wiring and butchered it all up, thanks guys

Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

@jaster its not doing anything due to no spark, the starter is still connected but no power to it

Old 10-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer
Arrow ebay cdi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Racing-CDI-Performance-CDI-box-Chinese-50cc-2-stroke-jog50-1E40QMB-2T-engine-/281145674407?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4175968aa7&vxp=mtrwould this possibly work? it is the same style/fashion as the one i have.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Arrow current cdi

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Chinese-Scooter-Minarelli-2-Stroke-CDI-Box-Moped-Big-chief-ignition-Module-/251343897807?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3a854384cf&vxp=mtrthis is the one i have, the only difference is the wire colors( red/wht is wht/red on mine etc) the other issue is will they work even though the are for 50cc? i read somewhere that most 50cc cdi`s work on 70,90,100cc, etc, what do you guys think? should i go ahead and buy either, they are cheap enough that i wont be too upset if they dont work

Quick Reply: cdi swap?