Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

What would be best for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be best for my truck?

Hi all,

Relatively new to ATVing and to this forum with a couple quick questions about trailers.

I have two quads a 250 Bayou and a 360 Prairie 4x4 and currently I rent a trailer from UHaul or whoever to haul my quads for daytrips, etc.
I just recently bought a 2004 Nissan Frontier XE Manual (3500lb tow capacity) with a tow package (I know not the best or biggest but I commute 120 miles each day and am a poor student so needed a lower priced vehicle).

Anyways my question is....what type of trailer should I go with? It's a pain in the behind to load one quad in the truck and then reconnect trailer so I want something big enough for both, but not so small that I have to piggyback them. I also don't want to spend a small fortune.

Another concern is that I have a HOA (who's already complaining about us and the trailer being parked outside for 10 hours one night...grrrrrrrrr) so this needs to fit into my garage (less than 17 long and less than about 6-8 feet wide) so I can store the quads on the trailer and keep both out of sight.

Any recommendations would be appreciated...and if anyone knows anywhere in Sacramento area (trailer dealers) to begin my price hunt (love to save abuck) please let me know.

Thank You

Old 04-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

An 8'x10' snowmobile trailer would do nicely.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

Home Depot sells a trailer called snowcat. It's 4' x8', but the tailgates (front and read) fold down to extend the trailer to 4' x 12'. Only about 550.00. It holds both of our 400s so you should be good.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi KFX,

We had heard that some of the Home Depot/OSh type trailers didn't hold up real well on highways (ie; the regulated 55 mph out here in CA)......you haven't had any problems with yours? We had mostly heard that it was tire problems ie; tires being too small. But then again these people may abuse the heck out of thiers and ours is just a weekend thing.

Thanks

Old 04-16-2004, 04:15 AM
Trailblazer

Something like this would work great! http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...egoryId=274279

Old 04-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Bish, My brother has one and never had a problem with his. He tows his 150 miles one way once or twice a month to our riding spot.

Old 04-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

The trouble with tires and trailers is this... First, the tires are probably under inflated... If they sit for any amount of time, you have to check the pressure religiously. Second, don't expect a tire, which is a compromise on a cheap unit to live the same as a rated tire designed for weight and speed. Third, before loading up the first time, take the wheels off and grease the bearings. ( 9 times out of 10, the bearings will be bone dry)

Lastly, don't overload or exceed the speed rating for the tires. You are inviting disaster. Until you have lived through the experience of having a docile trailer become a bucking monster with a blown out tire, you won't understand.

You can upgrade the tires at your local boat or tire dealer. If you find you will be exceeding any of the ratings, do it right away. A couple hundred bucks spent now, will save you thousands of dollars in repair bills down the road if you don't heed these basic safety rules.