CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Polaris....and the gift that keeps taking......and taking..and....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris....and the gift that keeps taking......and taking..and....

Pulled the ol' Polaris Genesis FFI Watercraft out to prep for the big weekend. Found the bike turning over, but not starting. Look at the diagnosis codes and says that the fuel pump or the main computer (EMM) has failed ......AGAIN! Got spark, no fuel or fuel pump. This boat has 37 hours on it!

Sad thing is that this is on me now. No more warranty. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] (Estimate was $1,000 for the computer alone).

Goes to prove that if you are looking for the latest and greatest. The machine that the Manufactures bring out and say "this is the greatest!! You gotta have it!!!!" Take it from me, wait a few years to see how it comes out. Let them iron the bugs out.

Polaris first did this with the 1999 Polaris Genesis FFI (Fuel Injected). Big rush to be the first on the block with the new fuel injection system. And they must have forgotten to do their product quality control testing. Mine is the proof of that. The first season, it spent its whole life in the shop. (LEMON).

Polaris did this with the Predator for 2003. The 2004 is fine, but be one of the dealers stuck with an 03 to sell. Ouch.

And not to just pick on Polaris, but I was pretty faithful to the Polaris line. No more. Bombardier has always done me right. Service and reliability wise.

Just something to think about. Anyone have similar complaints?

Old 05-26-2004, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

How many SeaDoo watercraft have you owned?

Old 05-27-2004, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

None, but work on all my friends boats. I have had Kawi's up until this Polaris.

Old 05-27-2004, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Like a service writer once said when asked if the failure was normal for the watercraft, "If it ain't a polaris, it ain't normal"

LOL

But seriously every manufacturer has had their issues. Each one has their benifis. Some models are specificly troublesome while others seem to be trouble free. I have alot of problems with people generalizing specific incedents into "the manufacturer sucks".

Old 05-27-2004, 07:31 AM
Trailblazer

My first ski was a kawi, my second, third, and fourth have been polaris. I have had great luck with them, but none of them were first year models. I would have to agree with you on that part. The 03 MSX140 is full of small problems as well.

Old 05-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

I have a '03 seadoo xpdi and it is awesome no problems whats so ever and before that i had a '95 seadoo spi and never gave me any troubles till '02 (running it in salt water 7 years no prblems you can't complain) and that is always running both of them in salt water and as hard as they can go. I really like the xpdi expecially with the shock under the seat which makes the ride alot smoother. But seadoo is the way to go for waverunners.

Old 05-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSXBEAR
Pulled the ol' Polaris Genesis FFI Watercraft out to prep for the big weekend. Found the bike turning over, but not starting. Look at the diagnosis codes and says that the fuel pump or the main computer (EMM) has failed ......AGAIN! Got spark, no fuel or fuel pump. This boat has 37 hours on it!Sad thing is that this is on me now. No more warranty. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] (Estimate was $1,000 for the computer alone). Goes to prove that if you are looking for the latest and greatest. The machine that the Manufactures bring out and say "this is the greatest!! You gotta have it!!!!" Take it from me, wait a few years to see how it comes out. Let them iron the bugs out.Polaris first did this with the 1999 Polaris Genesis FFI (Fuel Injected). Big rush to be the first on the block with the new fuel injection system. And they must have forgotten to do their product quality control testing. Mine is the proof of that. The first season, it spent its whole life in the shop. (LEMON).Polaris did this with the Predator for 2003. The 2004 is fine, but be one of the dealers stuck with an 03 to sell. Ouch.And not to just pick on Polaris, but I was pretty faithful to the Polaris line. No more. Bombardier has always done me right. Service and reliability wise. Just something to think about. Anyone have similar complaints?
If it was already in the shop for the same reason, then you may actually still have warranty. PRE-EXISTING problem. Of get on your knees and call Polaris. It's worth a shot. I was done this way on my 01 Raptor....so Polaris is not the only manufacturer too sell junk and fix it the next year.
Gary