Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

winch, plow, both or neither?? i cant decide

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 03:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch, plow, both or neither?? i cant decide

hey guys.. sort of dumb question but i am debating on this question and have been for about a month and cant decide. reason being is that i hardly ever ride alone in the mud where i may get stuck. i want a plow for the snow but i have a plow for my truck. therefor i dont see a reason for it. i have a $100 dollar gift certificate from relatives at the dealer and my mom said she would go 1/2's on a winch or plow for my b-day which is in 3 days. but i dont know if i should just go for both or one or the other.. or neither and get something totally different like a clutch kit. but remember that 100 dollar gift certificate.... can i order a clutch kit through my dealer and have them install it? cuz i dont want to do it cuz i dont want to break anything or mess up anything. i am famous for screwing things up. thanks for the help guys

Old 12-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

Hi. if I had a 700 I would really want a winch for it. I know 700's are wicked mudders but when they get stuck they really get stuck. Also once you have the winch you can add a plow later if you like. Just my two cents but the winch would be my choice.

Old 12-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Range Rover

id get the winch also. My cousin has a 700 and that winch is nice to have. Im debating on whether to get one on myself. It would be a better idea to get one, espically if noone has one that you ride with.
Have fun.

Old 12-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

yea.. if i got one i would be the only one so far that would have one. another buddy of mine with a prarie is thinking about it and my other buddy with the 700 like mine has a come-along. but thx for the info

Old 12-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

I too would go with the winch. You may not need it often but that time you really need it you will be kicking your self in the A$$ with those muddy boots. Also pulling yourself out of the mud is not the only reason. Pulling someone else out, pulling a machine out that is so buried that 1 winch isn't enoudg, pulling fallen trees.

Old 12-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

Definatly go with the winch, expecially if you already have a plow on te truck. You can always add the plow later.

Old 12-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

I bought winches for both my quads. I can tell you, you'll ride with a new sense of security. Knowing you can get out of anything by yourself, if necessary, is very cool. I also use my winch to raise and lower my plow blade.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt go anywhere without a winch. Of course, I also use my winch just about every time I go out. You are not going to pick up the back of the machine and lift it out of the mud. A winch should be standard equipment on a 700. Its also much better for pulling out all the other guys, and like everybody else said, you can put a plow on later. I wouldnt bother, if I still had a plow truck. Come-alongs are ok in a pinch, but they take forever and only pull you a couple feet at a time. There is generally a lot more getting wet involved too. You only need to bury it up to your neck one time to see the importance of a winch.