CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS shock spring sag?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS shock spring sag?

I have the Baja X, and it is now just under 7 months old. We do a lot of jumping, so we tightened up my suspension pretty tight, and it handled very well. However, I was reading that you could loosen off the front suspension all the way and then dump the cluth in second to drag and manage it. I was curious as to if this were true or not, so I decided to try it. I loosened off the suspension on the front, and as I got about 1-2 inches from the top, the spring would no longer come up, it just rattled aroung on the shock. I was wondering if this were normal, and If from having my springs so tight for that long if I permanantly compressed them. Can I buy just new springs? What suggestions do you guys have?

PS when I loosened the springs to where they jst touched, the overall ride was incredable, much easier to handle, and felt smooth as butter. I missed that, kinda forgot how good the stock shocks were. If only I could have it again.....

Old 06-02-2004, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

With the preloads are spun all the way to the top the springs will rattle because that is how you disassemble them. Just loosen it up enough that with the suspension all the way down the preload nuts just hold the springs from rattling. You can get that kind of ride and still be able to jump big with a good set of aftermarket shocks. I regularly do 50-60 ft doubles at out local track and my quad still rides way better than my buddies new hondas and yfz's.

Justin

Old 06-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Ya I know what ur saying, and I used to be able to achieve that kind of ride on the same shocks by playing with the preloads. All I'm saying now is the springs seem permantly more compressed than wheh they did before

New springs worth?

Old 06-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Unless the springs are cheap, I would just spend the money on a good set of aftermarket shocks.

Justin

Old 06-03-2004, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

And whats a good set of aftermarkets that ain't gonna drain me? I like the stockers, although I have never experienced a top end aftermarket. Which is the best bang for the buck? I mean good improvement and still cheap?