CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Shock rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock rebuild?

I found a ds for sale at a dealer about an hour north of me, they said its in good shape but needs a tune up and the rear shock needs to be rebuilt, how much would that cost?They told me it would be $280CA at Pro Tech . I won't be getting the springs changed or anything as i like the stock shock on my ds already.Thanks

Old 06-07-2004, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock rebuild?

Go here and download the second file. http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/mo.../mototech.html

Its a .pdf and shows how to do it yourself. I did my Showa rear shock on my SP600 (92 Honda XR 600 shock) as well as my ds shock. If you ride MX tracks its a good idea to do a dissasemble/clean/inspect/refill/recharge every 1-2 years depending on amount of ridding. As the fricton surfaces wear, the oil gets dirty and that clogs things and eats seals over time.

Niether of mine needed parts, as they wernt leaking, and worked properly. After refilling them, i had a local shop recharge the nitrogen rezzies to the proper amount. Cost was about 20 each for the oil and nitrogen charge. Took me maybe 1-2 hours to dissasemble, clean and refill one. Next day i had it nitrogen charged and was back out ridding. Basically if its in good shape, you are just doing an oil change, while cleaning the internals, and recharging the nitrogen. If its leaking, get the parts and swap them out while you do it.

Not for everyone to tackle, but most could handle it saftly with the right info. Theres nothing to it on my stock DS shock. Vent the nitrogen charge (very little volume, but very high PSI) If any oil comes out of teh schrader valve at all, you will need a new bladder for sure. After its depresurized, follow the instruction in the file on the link above and keep things dirt and grit free....