Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Matenience For a New ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matenience For a New ATV?

alright, well when the dealer gets the atv i want (07 raptor SE) and am ready to go buy it, i was wondering if you have to ride it for so long b4 u can get onto it and all of that?

for example my friend just bought a 2006 kawasaki 660 brute force. and he had to ride it so many miles, then take it back to the shop for matenience and then could get onto it more. his came with a 2 year free matenience pack.

so i was wondering if thats like all atvs? cause ive never had a brand new one b4.

and is there anything else you do to a sport atv on a baise's? im not a new rider but new on taking care of one on my own now so just looking for some pointers.

thanks guys,

Mike

Old 10-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ther are a couple methods to breaking in a new ATV. I always follow the "drive it like you stole it method." There is many arcticles that say this is a better way to keep a more power ful, and long lasting motor. I did that with my fourtrax, and it is 14yrs old on the same motor and tranny, with still no problems. I did it with my 650V2, and it has over 1,000 miles, and runs like new. After about 100 miles, your rings should be seated pretty good. Then i would change your oil, and differentials to A good quality synthetic oil, and Amsoil is, In my opinion, the best one for it. I have always used it, and always will. Ive never taken my quads to a dealer for a "tuneup" after the break in. Thats a money maker for dealers, imo. My dealer actually told me i did NOT need to have my valves checked, or any of that nonsense. He said, if it starts to run different, or i feel like something is wrong, to bring it in. But otherwise, he said i sure can charge you a couple hundred bucks to look at it and probably not adjust anything, but its pointless. If its working fine, why mess with it?

Old 10-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the info!