Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I buy?

I'm guessing you guys see tons of posts like this...In that case perhaps you can help me out.

I'm planning on buying my first atv. I am a 37 yr old father of two. I live in northern Minnesota, out in the sticks and I think it's about time for me to have a wheeler. I'll do some putting around at home, some hunting, some trail riding/cutting...pretty much all-purpose. I'm not a "aggressive" rider but I'm not a novice. Logged a lot of hours on 4-wheelers over the years. I don't need anything bigger than a 400. I want 4wd and I don't have the time to mess around with a lot of wrenching. I don't want to buy it to add a bunch of junk to it for hi-performance. It needs to be a reliable, tough rig.

OK....here's the two I'm most interested in and why I like that machine:

2006 Honda Rancher 4x4 350 I really like honda motors. They make a tough product. This is really the big selling point for me. Rock solid engineering. I like the single rear axle also. I like the flexible fender flares that come with this model. I can get this brand new for 4399$ Out The Door.

2006 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 Auto It's got more clearance, more susp travel, you can run it in 2wd or 4wd, you can lock out the front differential, adjustable shocks, 2 in receiver hitch. I'm still not sure about the Independent Rear Suspension. I like the simplicity of a SRA. The Cat seems/is bigger overall. Taller, wider, more power. In a way I like a lot of the little things the Cat has but have more faith in the Honda durability. I can get a demo Cat with 60 miles on it for about 4700$

Soooo....what should I do? If you have an opinion, please let me know. I don't spend 5000$ everyday and I want a wheeler that I'll be happy with for a long time. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Pro Rider

If I only had your 2 choices I would pick the Honda Rancher, yes it is more reliable than any atv out there, but if you like the more features the Arctic Cat 400 has then I would pick the Arctic Cat 400 4x4 manual, semi-auto, shift, gear drive model, The Arctic Cat 400 uses the exact same engine as the Suzuki Eiger, and both comes in either full automatic, CVT belt drive and semi-automatic gear drive and for the same price of a Arctic Cat 400 you can buy the Suzuki Vinson 500 cc also in semi-automatic gear drive that has enough acceleration and power and speed to run with the bigger 700 cc belt drives, but both the Suzuki Eiger and Vinson don't offer independent rear suspension and a gear locker front diff, Another one to look at is the Yamaha Big Bear, its still made in gear drive plus it comes with I rear suspension and a locker up front, don't buy a CVT belt drive ATV.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Moto, you are a prize. The Suzuki Vinson semi-auto gets smoked by my Yamaha Grizzly 660 with the belt transmission. I ran one and it lost bad. That's stock for stock. If it can't beat the Grizzly, it's surely not going to run with any of the other 700cc quads.

Once again, you're blatantly lying.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Dead, first of all you need to ignore any opinion given by MotoF150 on any topic. If you read enough of this forum you will see why.

I would say you have picked out two nice machines, but the Rancher 350 is going away this year. I am sure the Dealer did not mention that. Honda has a new 420 Rancher that should be out in a month or so. It has fuel injection, new body and frame, front disc brakes, selectable 4wd on the 4wd model, bigger seat, water cooled,......forgot what else. You might want to check it out. It should only be a couple hundred more than the 350.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had two Ranchers, and they are superb machines! Years and years of trouble-free service. Not powerhouses by any means, but I do mostly slow very technical riding on a ute anyway, so that isn't an issue for me.

If you can get an 06 at a bargain price, then you might want to get one. A few months ago, around here the 350's were going for $4,000, out the door. If you can't get a great price on an 06, then wait for the new 07 420 Rancher, which has an MSRP of only $200 more than the 06!

Old 11-27-2006, 05:34 AM
Pro Rider

Mr. JDQuad, Oh I forgot you live in Ohio, smooth level land, yea maybe on a smooth level road the Grizzly will smoke the Vinson. oh I keep forgetting thats whats ridig an ATV is all about drag racing them on smooth level land, ok the next time I see a Grizzly behind me when im going up a steep hill or thru a mud hole I will move over so he can pass me city boy.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

LOL. Moto you don't have a clue as to where I ride. I've ridden countless times in the mountains down in Harlan Co. Kentucky on some pretty nasty trails. In fact, I don't even ride in Ohio. It's either Indiana or Kentucky and there are plenty of steep hills, thick woods, and mud. You would know if you ever get out of the backwoods, fantasy land you live in.

And if you are out riding and a Grizzly is behind you, just keep on going. He'll pass you if he wants. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't go wrong with a Rancher.....

Super reliable and can take a serious beating.............

Old 11-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

Well aside from a pissing match between Moto and DJ, I've pretty much gotten the go ahead to head the Rancher. Is there just not that many Cat riders to back their brand or are Honda's that much more reliable.

Old 11-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Dead. Sorry about the pissing match. Didn't mean to tread on your thread.

I like my Honda. If reliability is your #1 then you can't go wrong with one.

Another one you should consider is the Yamaha Kodiak. It meets most of your criteria too aside from being an IRS. They are light and handle very well considering. Plus the Kodiak has the locking front differential and a low range for the transmission when towing heavier loads. From what I've read in this forum, everybody who owns one likes it and it is a tough rig.