Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help with new purchase......

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new purchase......

Okay here is the deal....
I will probably get biased opions but be truthful and don't hold back. Need to know what everyone thinks?

Here it goes,
A buddy of mine is wanting to get back into wheelers since I recently aquired a 97 Warrior. BUT, he has to have the best, fastest, better than anyone *you get the picture. Now, he is looking at the Honda 450r for $6800 (new) for the money he could get a Raptor 700( only list the Raptor as close to MSR $7100). What are the differences in the two besides cc? What should he look for when buying a new atv? I tried to talk him into a used one, but he will not have it any other way, wants warranty, blah, blah, blah. Okay enough bashing my buddy. Really Kaw, Yam and Hon are all good bikes and have been around the block a time or two and are good manufactures. If you had the 7 grand to spend , what would you buy, with what options?

Trail riding, muddin', climbing - only weekend type warriors having fun. He is not going to be into pro circuit racing or anything along those lines.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 450R and have put in a lot of saddle time on my buddies Raptor. I like the 450 for riding more open country, like the desert. The frame handles superbly on a tight trail but it is geared tall and the motor likes to rev, and doesn't like to lug down. So, you are having to work the clutch a lot and maybe go faster than you really should in the slow technical stuff (unlike your old Warrior).

As for the Raptor I love the torquey power, but for me the ergonomics are totally wrong. The rear axle is to narrow and it carries its weight to high in the frame. It isn't as tippy as the old Raptor 660, but if I got one the first thing I would have to do is widen it.

I say either is a good choice, but each one has its own particular strengths and drawbacks. Tell him to take a good look at the Z400 as well. I think it is the best all around machine out there.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know of a few mechanics who tell me that the Raptor is a "surcharged" vehicle in some repair shops... i suppose that in english that means that it either breaks alot, or is expensive to repair. I love the look of the Raptor, and it is fast... but "fast is only fun... when they run" Just my opinion for you, seems that big red has got a pretty good machine out there.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really can't go wrong with the z400.........

Mine has been great, super fun and super reliable. I have no problem keeping up with the 450s on either an MX track or in the trails. Of course they are faster, but no so much that they disappear out of sight. Even in drag races it is only a matter of a few seconds, which in competition is an eternity but on Sunday with your friends it is nothing.

As much as I love the power (and mine is still 100% stock) I love the handling the best. It goes exactly where you want it to with zero surprises ever. Even when things looks like they are going to get rough, a little skill and the Z will dance right through.

I probably sound like a Suzuki rep but I don't really favor any brands. I've owned all of the four big names and liked them all. But there are few people if anyone who will tell you there is anything better than a z400 in the "bang for your buck" category. The 400ex is probably the closest but its more often than not more expensive.