Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New, need help guys!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New, need help guys!!

Hey guys,

I'm new to ATV's, looking to purchase one in the next little while. My primary purpose for purchasing one will be for ice fishing, and for getting back and forth to a cottage in the summer. I've always owned snowmobiles, but lately, I find that the guys with quads have a much easier go at it, and they're able to carry gear much more easily. Ok, here's what I'm looking for.............

I don't need anything huge or complicated, but I'd like something with adequate power for getting through some snow once in a while, which is able to tow some ice fishing gear or a small hut. I want to know the advantages and disadvantages of liquid and air cooling. Also, are there quads that have direct shaft drive rather than the belt transmission?? I'm new to this and know nothing. I'd also like to hear preferences towards different brands and price ranges. This is alot of info, but if anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

For this purpose, what is the smallest machine I can get away with, that will be able to do the job? I was looking a bit at honda's but was very suprised to see the 6.5 inches of ground clearance. Any opinions on that?

Thanks guys.

Kevin

Old 03-01-2007, 10:38 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me clarify the shaft drive/belt drive thing you mentioned. All the 4X4's are shaft drive....one shaft to the front diff and one to the back. What you are doing is confusing that, with different kinds of transmissions.........

As for transmissions, there is the basic old reliable manual gear on gear type, that has to be shifted from gear to gear. These tend to be found mostly on the smaller machines and these are my personal favorites!

As for automatic transmissions, Honda has two different designs on the Rubicon and Rincon that aren't belt drive (see the Honda website for an explanation on these). All the rest of the manufacturers use belt drives.

Then you have the choice between solid rear axle (SRA) and independent rear suspension (IRS). The SRA machines give more of a solid planted sport quad type ride, and the SRA machines offer more ground clearance but have more body roll and a more mushy feel. Don't however be fooled by the IRS numbers. When you load the machine down with a rider and stuff on the racks, and particularly when you tow, the IRS suspension will squat and you can find yourself with not much more clearance than an SRA.

Here's my personal take on snow. I know I live in balmy Calif., but we do actually get snow in our mountains ....like 50 to 100 feet sometimes! With the right tires, my little Honda Ranchers do an absolutely superb job in the snow! I can ride 3 foot deep drifts, and it just floats along on top on my slick Maier skid plate (acts like a huge ski)....it absolutely amazes me every time I ride. I can litterally go anywhere, any time, and the new fuel injected, water cooled Rancher 420 is an absolute peach!

But, you sound like you will need a bigger machine if you are going to be towing a hut. Seeing that I am a die hard manual transmission guy, my only other possible choice would have to be the Honda Foreman 500. These have a reputation as being the classic "work" quad, but it should also make a good trail quad.

The current fad in the industry is to build huge, heavy, large displacement IRS machines with belt drive automatic transmissions. And the trend is to load them down with a bunch of "features" that just drives up the prices $$$$. Personally, I can't think of a single one of these that I would ever care to own..........

Old 03-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but I am an ATV newbie as well, thanks for the info.

I have been looking into the Yamaha Big Bear 400. This machine seems to be an unstoppable workhorse from the reviews I have been reading.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

So, I like what I've been hearing about the rancher 420. Is this machine a manual, geared transmission?? Is it available? I really don't like the idea of a belted transmission. What are my options in this class size of machine, with a geared transmission?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Rancher 420 has a gear-on-gear manual transmission. You can either shift with your foot, or there is an ES option where it shifts electronically with push buttons up on the handlebars (might be handy when wearing big winter boots or riding in water). Mine has proven to be an absolutely superb little machine! It is great on the trails, and suitable for lighter work. My only complaint is that I wish it were lighter.

When you have a belt drive, there is a limit to the range of gearing you can achieve, so consequently they need a transfer case. The manual trans Hondas on the other hand, just put on a very low 1st "granny" gear, and you don't need a transfer case.....keeps things simpler and less expensive.

How big and heavy is the ice house you need to pull??? I wouldn't want to swear that a Rancher 420 is up to the task of hauling something huge and heavy (????), but I bet the Foreman 500 would do.