Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help the New Guy PLEASE!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help the New Guy PLEASE!?!?!?!

Hi, I'm 6'2 and about 215 and I"m looking to purchase my first quad. After months of research I'm very confused. I'm done looking at Chinese quads b/c I've read enough to convince me that's a terrible idea. I work for a new home builder in SC so most of my riding will be on land we develop before there are rodes. So loose dirt, small to medium jumps. I think I should get a sport quad instead of utility. Any thoughts? Also I'm not used shifting so I'm worried about getting too much power and having to shift and all that stuff. I've leaned toward the Honda 400ex and then I starting reading about the KFX 700 which eliminates my shifting deal. Somebody please help me figure out which quad out there too by. I don't want more than I can handle but I have no clue what to get. Please somebody help me. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks

Old 05-27-2007, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Don't believe everything you read about chinesse ATVs, although if you want an Auto, finding a sport quad for an adult, with CVT or some other type of automatic tranny isn't easy. If you have the money, then go for a 400cc. Honda makes great stuff. As do many other brands. You really need to hit some dealerships and figure out what exactly you need. Go do that and check back in here with what you have learned and lots of people will help you out.

-JNY

Old 05-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Trailblazer

I would not worry about learning how to shift. I just taught my buddy who is 32 and he picked it up in about 2 days and now you would think he has been doing it all his life. I have also taught my son who is 6 and 4 and they both picked it up very quick.

Are you going to be using this quad to work with?

Old 05-27-2007, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, clutches on quads are much easier than in a car. There is much less power and weight involved. I would say it's even easier than some motorcycles. My VTX1300 required a lot more clutching than any ATV I've riden. Of course the bike is geared pretty high. =D

-JNY

Old 05-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

at 6 foot 2 i'd worry more about getting a bike that my knees didn't hit the bars.lol. for your size i'd get a big bike

Old 05-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

You can get an auto clutch from EFM. Takes away the clutching and alows you to focus on shifting. The clutch lever is still operational so you can use it when you're ready. Kinda like the "sport clutch" on the '07 Honda 250EX.
www.efmautoclutch.com