Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Shaking after a hard hit

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking after a hard hit

I was out riding my 2017 570 Polaris Sportsman today and stumbled across what looked like a nice, challenging creek crossing. A few buddy's went before me and when I went a slid on a log and my front right tire hit the hard packed mud wall of the creek, pretty much straight on, and blew my tire off bead. After a little action with a ratchet strap and a mini air compressor on the side of the trail, we were able to get it back on and rideable. I know that at least a small amount of water may be in the tire. I can't visibly see that the tie rod is bent. And everything still feels tight underneath. It's got brand new cv axles. The rims and tires are the "factory upgraded" version (14" sti rims and 27" swamp lite tires). I do not have power steering. I am here to ask what may be the steps I should try and take to attempt to fix my bike. If all else fails I will break down and take it to a shop but would really prefer to get the know how and do it myself. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Have to be sure there is NO water inside the tire first. Then look for a bent rim or front end may be knocked out of alignment. Tie rods can be bent and difficult to see, may have to remove it to check it. Does your machine have the cast aluminum front suspension? These can be damaged on hard impact....you have a number of things to check !!

Old 08-27-2017, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start by taking the tire back off the wheel and thoroughly cleaning the inside of the tire and the wheel, to make sure there is not mud packed in the tire, or on the wheel itself. Then check the wheel for damage, and replace as necessary.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep3
I would start by taking the tire back off the wheel and thoroughly cleaning the inside of the tire and the wheel, to make sure there is not mud packed in the tire, or on the wheel itself. Then check the wheel for damage, and replace as necessary.
And check the tie rods on both sides.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Have to be sure there is NO water inside the tire first. Then look for a bent rim or front end may be knocked out of alignment. Tie rods can be bent and difficult to see, may have to remove it to check it. Does your machine have the cast aluminum front suspension? These can be damaged on hard impact....you have a number of things to check !!
Yes it does have the cast aluminum front suspension. What should I look for to see if it is damaged? Will the cast bend or am I more likely to find a crack?