Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 sp 700 efi

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 sp 700 efi

Put my front plastics back on and went to start it and noticed the fuel gauge on the cluster was gone. So I pulled the front access panel and wiggled the wires around and it worked then was gone again. Found the red wire was bare an inch from the plug that connects the fuel pump to the cluster.
spliced it back together and now I have no fuel pump and no fuel gauge, I can hear a relay click but that's it
I checked with the meter and I habe nothing at the pin for the red wire but I have 4.6 at the splice. Purple wire shows 4.6 at the pin. How do I remove this pin to replace that wire/pin?

Old 08-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

May be the fuel pump relay clicking or the thermal circuit breaker that provides power to the relay making the noise. Located on the wiring harness up from the relay. Either taped to the harness as some I've found or enclosed in a plastic pouch.Check that it's not corroded and has constant power on each side.

Attached Thumbnails 05 sp 700 efi-s-l1000.jpg  
Old 08-30-2017, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

I jumped the red wire and the fuel pump kicked on, and also the fuel gauge came back on the cluster. But while idling sometimes the cluster light flickers and the fuel gauge flickers

Old 08-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes jumping power to red can restore the pump,but something somewhere is causing the red wire to lose power. Either a short further down the harness or the fuel pump relay or the inline circuit breaker could be the problem. The wiring schematic can help trace down wiring problems. Don't know if you have the manual,but if not,2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI Service Manual PDF Download

Old 08-31-2017, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

The pins in the plug were loose so I eliminated the plugs and spliced the wired together with shrink wrap, pump kicks on no problem now, the gauge still wasnt showing. So I started the quad and let it idle for a couple minutes and the gauge now shows. I've shut it off a handful of times and turned key on and the fuel gauge works like it should now.
my question is, it didn't work until after I spliced wires and let it idle for a min, did it need to reset or ? Did letting it run send the signal?

Old 08-31-2017, 03:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by lph008
The pins in the plug were loose so I eliminated the plugs and spliced the wired together with shrink wrap, pump kicks on no problem now, the gauge still wasnt showing. So I started the quad and let it idle for a couple minutes and the gauge now shows. I've shut it off a handful of times and turned key on and the fuel gauge works like it should now.
my question is, it didn't work until after I spliced wires and let it idle for a min, did it need to reset or ? Did letting it run send the signal?
Probably speedo reset,but on problems like these I just chalk it up to gremlins..

Attached Thumbnails 05 sp 700 efi-1300w-30792_stunt_puppet_brain_gremiln_04.jpg  
Old 08-31-2017, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Ya I traced all the wires and checked them up to pump and removed ground on top of plug and cleaned it so I'm really not sure if it just needed to be reset or what. But currently it is working, need to take it on a trail to verify. Before I spliced wires, when i wiggled the plug from speedo to pump it would flicker the fuel gauge and now it doesn't do it