Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC Toe Shifter does NOT fit my 500???? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Toe Shifter does NOT fit my 500???? Help!

Where do you get the electric shifter kit?

Old 06-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

my nabour was telling me about them the other day i'll ask him when he gets home from work tonight and let you know.

Old 06-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

i did it -----------------i cut the heel kicker off and turned the front toe kicker one tooth up and it works pretty good . i'll see tomorow how it works on the trails and i'll let you guys know how it go's.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:19 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem when I FIRST STARTED RIDING MY BUDDIES Now that I have a couple of hundred miles of experience with one it is no longeran issue. I would stay with the stock shifter.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

That shifter was a little weird at first, but once you got used to it, it makes sense. If you ride in big boots, it's downright sensible.

I love those 'comparison tests' of 'utility quads' that test everything but utility. How does it slide and jump? Never mind what it's off road capabilities are - heaven forbid one should buy a big utility quad and actually take it off the road. Where I go, the top rated Vinson would get stuck very quickly.

Old 06-12-2003, 03:39 AM
Pro Rider

i've got 800 miles on my 500 and i just cut the back off today . and if i dont like it i'll just weld it back on.but i like it so far because theres more heel room, i like that. i've only gone around my yard so far but i'll take it out tomorrow and see.

Old 06-13-2003, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

i put 12 miles on the bike today and the toe shifter mod seems to work pretty good so far. and i dont mind the extra heel room eather.i think im going to like it.

Old 06-14-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had my Cats, a '96 454 & 00' 500 4x4's, I added on a metal block the same width as the top of the shifter to the top of the rear heel shifter. It raised the rear shifter up 1 inch & I extended it out another 2 inches. By doing this, I was able to shift with ease without putting my foot/ankle in a awkward position, which enable me to shift easier either sitting down or standing up on the floorboards. The extension never got in the way with my boots. Mis-shifts were no-longer a problem with this simple mod. 5 of us who rode the Cats, all made this Mod, with some being a higher or lower rise or a shorter extention of the rear shifter, it all came down to personal choice of the Mod that the rider needed. 3 of my buddies still have their Cats with the Mod. The other one now rides a Grizz. 1st experiment with this mod by bolting it on & changing the height & extension till you get it down to your liking, then remove the shifter & have it welded on, paint it black & it will look like stock. The design of the shifter allows you to bolt the metal block on ( at least you could with those 2 model years that I had). If you would like a photo of it, I can get up to my friends place & take a picture of the rear heel Mod & place it with my photos in my photo Gallery.

Old 06-14-2003, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

NWThunting-the electric shifter is sold by cycle country at cyclecountry.com-------also i put 35 miles on my cat today and the shifter mod works great. i should have cut that heel kicker off a long time ago.

Old 06-20-2003, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider

well i've gone about a hundred miles since i cut the heel kicker off my cat and i think its great my foot sits tight against the moter and under the shifter and it feels perfict no more side steping with my foot just click up and down with the toe and its so natural like rideing a dirt bike but better.i think this is a good mod and it's free.and it only takes 30secs with a hack saw then move it up one notch from where it sits stock so you can get your foot under it and your done.cool.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: AC Toe Shifter does NOT fit my 500???? Help!