Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 500 Auto needs sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2000 | 01:29 PM
|
Pro Rider

I got the steering modified, bigger back tires, there is still too much body roll. Does anybody have any info on an anti-sway bar for the AutoCat
500 (Sportsman or a Snowmobile seem to be the only possible sources) KITS?? PART #'s?? Any help would be appreciated. My very nice local dealer called the factory and they said "nobody needs to go that fast" What about sidehills and off-cambers, Minnesota is pretty FLAT isn't it? I'll go as fast as I please thank you. Independant suspension needs an anti-sway bar. Silly Later, Fourlix

Old 05-10-2000 | 04:46 PM
Range Rover

i have a 99 manual and the body roll was my number 1 complaint,especially when you put weight on the racks.i took the springs off the shocks and put a 3/4 in. spacer under the spring.this stiffened the springs and took away about 90% of the body roll it also lifted it up about 2 in. if you dont put anything on the racks only go 1/2 in. because it will ride like a truck

Old 05-10-2000 | 09:50 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanx FrankD, I'll give it a try! Silly Later,
Fourlix. Hey Arctic Cat- see.. I am not the only one complaining about BODY ROLL!! (My wife complains about my body roll and I havn't done anything about it either)

Old 05-10-2000 | 09:51 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanx FrankD, I'll give it a try! Silly Later,
Fourlix. Hey Arctic Cat- see.. I am not the only one complaining about BODY ROLL!! (My wife complains about my body roll and I havn't done anything about it either)

Old 05-11-2000 | 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

I put wheel spacers from High Lifter seemed to help quite a bit. It gives you a wider stance which seems to help.

Old 05-12-2000 | 12:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't see where any body roll hurts me any with my 500. At least not near enough to rig some stabilizing sway bar. I have found it to be the most stable quad I have ridden (though I haven't ever had a sportsman in uneven terrain). I don't feel any real lean unless I am cornering hard. Then again, a 645 lb 4x4 isn't much for race inspired handling to begin with. Is this sway bar thing something you guys really need or just something else to fancy it up? Not being smart or anything, just wondering. I haven't found the need for anything like this yet myself, and I have ridden in everything but sand. What type of riding do you guys mainly do?

Old 05-12-2000 | 02:10 AM
|
Pro Rider

I really like the demeanor of the arctic cat forum.
Here I am giving my new ride the third degree and every response I've had has been an intelligent,
considered,real time question.
Have you ever been over to the Honda Forum?
Those guys are intense.
Is the anti-sway bar glitz or action was the
question. Trying everything else first seems to
be the answer, because the sway bar is a significant project and everything else (wheel spacers, quicker steering linkage, spacers under
springs,wider back tires-is quick, cheap and easy.
I've got the steering, tires, and spacers and
it's ready to take on the Sportsman 500-stock.
Arctic Cat needs to set these up just a little better. This is the way I should have bought it.
Now adding the sway-bar would be a true option-not a neccessity. And we drive the mining roads and small desert washes of the Gila National Forest in Southwestern New Mexico-Fast....Silly
Later....Fourlix

AutoCat 500, Expedition 425, Magnum 325

Old 05-12-2000 | 02:21 AM
Range Rover

Yeah...i have had a problem with body roll on mine too...thing is though..when my body started rolling...everything else did too..from the wheels up..But It still runs like the day i bought it and i wouldnt have any other Sport/Ut out there. 4 roll overs so far...2 that caused heavy damage (and pain).

Oh yeah...Boner i saw your web page..if i emailed you some pics of our Cats catching some air, and in some mud...would you put them on?

Old 05-12-2000 | 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with you Andy I have not had any problems with mine either. We ride quite a bit in the mountains in Alaska. I had two other quads in my life and I thought my machine was pretty stable. Our group of guys are not fast riders though, we like to mosey along and look at scenery. We are kinda in the older group of Guys. Don't get me wrong we do like to get on the gas once in a while. I have had my Cat now for two years and not one thing wrong so far. I have three buddies that have 500's too and none of them ever had anything go wrong with theirs either. I think Arctic Cat really done a great job with these machines. Fourlix I think the more you ride your machine the more your going to like it. You made an intelligent decision going with the Cat. Safe riding Guys.

Old 05-12-2000 | 10:54 PM
Range Rover

send then to me and I'll put them on mine.

tkeiy593@yahoo.com

chuck

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat 500 Auto needs sway bar