Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2000 Arctic Cat 500 Automatics

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-1999, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, anyone with the new AC 500 Automatics tell me how the new front differential works. Does it always spin both front tires?

Old 11-26-1999, 06:33 AM
Trailblazer

Hopefully I will have an answer for you tonight. I finally am off to pick up my red 2000 AC Auto. Took 4 weeks for the dealer to get a red one in, then the winch was on back order etc....Gonna pick it up and head out to the trail today.
Mike

Old 11-26-1999, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

Right on Mike glad to see another AC500 auto owner, how do you like it and its climbing ability. I have a green one and am thoroughly satisfied with it...

Artic Cat 500...When you really want to get down or up either

------------------

Old 11-27-1999, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

Well I took my New Auto out yesterday.Picked it up at the dealer,fueled it up and headed out to the trail.We had an inch of snow on the trails in Langlade county Wisconsin. Temps were about 28 degrees.Had a hard time seeing at times,dang goggles kept gettin' slimed up by the snow.Only put 33 miles on the new Cat but here are my observations.
BAD:
1)The built in gas gage clicks and clunks the whole time you ride,not a big deal
2)Body lean in corners
3)The Duramatic vent has a large rectangular opening just under the plastic which will let water in big time. They run a vent tube from the top and an intake tube from the bottom
(or vice versa)They join each other after the large opening and snorkle it up higher.Why run the rest of the snorkle up higher when you have a Large opening farther down any ways?? I had a problem with water getting in my Grizzly belt which was higher than this opening.Looks like a little Hillbilly engeneering is in order.
GOOD:
1)Hydraulic foot brake works great.
2)Ride is great,even with the body lean.
3)Power is good,not as fast as my Grizzly but it is not far behind.No nasty vibration through the floorboards like my Grizzly had.
I could go on but lets just say I am more than happy.

Old 11-28-1999, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

So does the Cat feel more powerful than the Grizz?
Did your belt slip yet?
Did you test the front diff?

Old 11-28-1999, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Mike, you live in Wisconsin? I live in Wisconsin! I've ridden the Langlade trails already, they were very muddy at the time. Did you ride both sections of the trail?

[This message has been edited by rooster (edited 11-27-1999).]

Old 11-28-1999, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

As far as power goes the Grizzly is going to be hard to beat.My buddy beat me in a couple drag races.I'm gonna wait until I break the Cat in,then were gonna run them again. No problems with the belt yet.I did not get any water in the hole in the Tranny Vent. The tranny is the best Auto I have ridden.I have owned a Polaris and a Grizzly.Hooks up better with less noise than that screaming Ultramatic on the Grizzly. Engine braking was great.Built in gas gage and front plastic does make some noise.No biggy to me.I only put it in 4wd once.So I can't post a reply on its effectivness yet.
Rooster,
I'm from Waupaca,where do you live.I have only ridden on the larger section of Langlade county trails,Parrish Highlands area,Yep they can be really muddy in spots.Friday the trails had an inch of snow,and the water holes had about half in of ice on them.Made for some fun riding.Driving half blind you see couldn't see the water holes until you crashed through the ice.Water,ice and muck.Didn't take long for the Cat to get dirty.
Mike

Old 11-28-1999, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Mike, I live in Door County. Ever been up here? Did you ever ride in Park Falls, Oconto County's Dusty Trails, or Kewaunee?

[This message has been edited by rooster (edited 11-28-1999).]

Old 11-29-1999, 03:16 AM
Pro Rider

Well Mike read your post on how you liked your new AC 500 auto, I have the same problem with the gas gauge and I think you will find and I don't know how to put this I once read it on a forum and quite didn't understand it. Till it came to me one day if you ride more aggressively you will not even noticed the body lean. I thought this when I first got my cat and I had rode 300cc machines hard but after I got used to the cat didn't noticed any lean at all if this makes sense...How bout it Andy do you know what I am talking about or are you still stuck at the bottom of the lake..hehehehe

Artic Cat 500...Ride it hard

------------------

Old 11-29-1999, 09:13 AM
Trailblazer

Rooster,
I've ridden the Park Falls trails several times this year.I have been most of the trail systems in Wisconsin. I would have to say that my favorite trail in Wisconsin is the Deadhorse trail in Ashland county.40 miles of rocky,muddy,water holed trail with plenty of downed trees to hop over.I can't wait to get up there and tackle it with the new Cat.
Mike

Quick Reply: 2000 Arctic Cat 500 Automatics