Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New AC guy.....sorta

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2000, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm kinda new to the atv game, just started this year so I might have some dumb questions but bear with me please. I have been a snowmobiler for 20 + years and run a small Arctic Cat smowmobile performance shop in the winter so I am mechanically inclined and can answer any sled questions you might have (however judging where most of you live they will be in frequent). I have a 2000 500 auto, the old man has a 98 500 shifter, and riding buddy has a 99 500 shifter so I have had a bit of experience with these bikes but have more questions than answers right now. You all seem like a fairly good bunch and have good bits of experience (I have been following forum for awhile now) and I look forward to chatting with all of you. Hope I can give some helpful input once and awhile aswell as steal yours. Just thought I would introduce myself. Here's mud in your eye.

Thump

Old 06-04-2000, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Thump, glad to meet ya! How do you like your new Auto kitty? I've only had mine a few months now, but love every bit of it. It's been a great machine, perfect for my needs and has done everything I have asked of it, and then some. Hope you have as much good luck with yours!

Happy Trails!

Mike

Old 06-04-2000, 10:46 PM
r34
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Thump.... Do you know Vern Lecomte, from Tisdale ???

Old 06-05-2000, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Howdy cowboy,

I really like the auto except for a few minor complaints. Being very familar with clutching from sleds I feel that it does not " backshift" as crisply as I would like when going up big hills or flying into mud bogs off of hardpack but most autos I have ridden exhibit this trait. Not that it is intolerable or that most would maybe even notice but it is something that could be improved on. Other than that the biggest **** off is the clutch vent opening, major engineering blunder here. If you stop in water that is above the tires you are screwed with a wet belt, I can attest to that.

If you don't want to play submarine or require indy car shifts this is definately the bike I would choose. Good clearance, nice ride, and built like a tank, reliability is yet to be proven but I think we have more of a Honda than a Poo on our hands here. I did alot of research into this one before I bought it and I am very happy with it. 99 % of the time it is hard to beat the auto for convience and versitility. For the other 1% of the time the shifter would have advantges but I'll take the 99% over the 1%. And the auto vs shifter debate rages on......

r34 Vern L. hmmmmm sounds familar but I can't place him right now

Thump

Old 06-05-2000, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Nice to meet you thump. I own a 1998 500 manual. I am very happy with it, very dependable, never broke down. I'm from Alaska and ride in the mountains a lot, which sometimes makes me wish I had an auto, but my machine has been so great that I can't complain. Hardly no up-keep makes it really nice. We pulled 500lb meat trailers at 4700 feet in the mountains with no noticeable lost of power. I have a couple of friends with the same machine and they hadn't had any problems either. As far as I'm concerned they are proven machines. I have 27" Vampires with a lift kit and that baby can go through some mud. I guess you can tell I am happy with my machine. Well good luck with your machine. There is really a good bunch of guys in the Arctic Cat forum, have fun!!

Old 06-05-2000, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Nice to hear from you Thump, You will find there are some real helpful guys here in the AC forum. I grew up around Artic Cat Snowmobiles in Colorado in the 1970s. I can still picture my Dad's 634 & My Mom's 399 Panther. I didn't get back into the Arctic Cats until 1994 when we bought 2 Tigershark PWCs. Everyone else was into the OTHER brands but we were very happy with the Daytonas & they lasted thru lots of abuse & took everything we threw at them. I bought my 500 Auto mainly for Deer Hunting but have had a lot of fun in the last 2 months trail riding & venturing off into the woods were I wouldn't go on foot if you know what I mean. I have been very happy with my Cat even with it's faults (I think all of them have there own faults). Anyways, welcome to the ATV world.

Old 06-05-2000, 10:15 PM
Range Rover

good to meet you Thump,
I hope you like your new cat, If you have any questions just post them her and someone will give you and answer or many time you will get many diffrent opnions esp concerning Tires, and winches.
The guys around here have helped me out many times when I have had ideas that i'm not sure would work.
Just remember, love your cat and it will love you!!!!

Old 06-06-2000, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

Irichard:
With the latest talk about larger tires, and loss of power, I was just curious how the vamps work on your 500. It seems that they are about the heaviest tires out there, and should have the biggest difference in power from stock. Can you tell a difference, or have you added any HP kits or pipe, etc., to make up for the difference? If so, what, and how has it helped?

Thanks for the info. I'd like to put 27"ers under my 'Cat, but am concerned about the power loss, and will probably wait till I've got enough money to buy the tires and performance kit at the same time, so I won't notice that much.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 06-06-2000, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Well Cowboy, I didn't notice any difference in the power on my manual. I don't know about the auto. I have a friend that has the same machine I have with the same tires and he mentioned he didn't notice any difference either. If there is a difference it is so slight that its hardly noticeable. The tires are lasting really well, I was surprised about that. If you do a lot of asphault driving or concrete, I hear they don't handle that to well. I have the 27x12x12 in the rear and 27x9.5x12 in the front. I am really impressed with there stability on hard pack beings they are mainly mud tires. Here is a number for Interco Tire Co. in Rayne, Louisiana these guys will make you a great deal, (1-800-299-8000). These tires are very aggressive in mud, places where I was getting stuck with stock tires, I just crawl right through now with hardly no tire slippage. They clean out very well too. One other thing I had a first hand look at the 28" vampires and they make the 27" look almost wimpy. The Artic Cats will take the 28" Vampires also. The Vampires won the mud tire shoot-outs 2 years in a row. Well whatever you choose good luck with them. I am very happy with my Vamps. Oh I almost forgot I ran a couple of them once with 0 lbs of air, and didn't notice any difference till I checked the air in the tires. They are very strong tires also. Good Day!!

Old 06-06-2000, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot to mention cowboy if you get them to mail your tires 4th class it is a lot cheaper for shipping. It might take two weeks to get them, but you save lots of money. Later