Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Wide Tires Float or Dig Which is better for Quads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Tires Float or Dig Which is better for Quads?

From the pictures of the AC's i've seen, the back tires that come standard are narrow compaired to the competition? Is that just my perspective or fact? Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I know wider will float better, but that can lead to less traction. Thin digs down in mud/powder but that can lead to high center and poor floatation on snow and sand. What are your thoughts??? BTW I don't see much on how the A/C's do in the sand?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Well I like wider, I think its better.

AC usually has 1" wider tires on the rear than everyone else and now on their 650 they have 1" taller tires too.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

im with bbertram
wider is better and taller is better also.
and as for floatation in the snow and sand i find that my gators are far better then the sock tires.
with the stock tires i would get stuck in the snow all the time but with the gators i have to look to get stuck.
as for in the sand the stock tires were good as long as you stayed away from the muddy sand.
because when you get in the sand and water and got stuck you dont move with them.
but with the wide tires with the deep lugs most times you can back out of the hole.
wider is better .yes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
P.S. check out my page theres some pics of me playing in the water and sand where my buddy got stuck with his stock tired 600 grizz.

Old 10-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

Unless you never get in mud deeper than 11" wider is better.

Old 10-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

Wide in the back, skinny up front.

Sounds like a girl I used to know!!

Old 10-18-2003, 05:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Would it make a difference putting the same size tires all the way around, or should they be narrower in the front, and why? Thx

Old 10-18-2003, 10:29 AM
Range Rover

Wider vs Skinny, that debate has been going on for years, I will give my opnion on it. IT all depends on mud you are riding in, If it has not botton wider all the way but if there is a botton the skinnys will find it faster, The wider tires get their "Floating" ability because they have a much larger contact area with the mud while will displace the wirght of the quad over more area, if given enough power they will dig to they hit somthing but, thats another discussion, an advanced rider will know just how fast to spin the tires to keep them for digging to the noexixtant bottom, runnig Skinnys you are unable to do this since the displacenet area in much less, most of the time with these tires the guad will sink with no tire spin what so ever. Running wider tires up frt make the quad harder to stear I run 28x12.5.12 HL Outlaws on all for corners, the ride is bumpy, its very hard to turn going slow. I spend most of my life doing 5-6 point turns tring to turn around. Where I ride at on the souther coast of alabama the mud hole have not solid bottom, so most everyone runs the wides tires. skinny tires in the frt will mkae it easier to stear but you will loose some displacement. If your quad weight in at 800 lbs and you have 12.5 in contact for all for tires you can divide 800 by the 12.5 x4(50)=16psi of you do the same with 10.5 in the frt 800/(10.5x2)+(12.5x2)=the weight jumps up to almost 20 psi. you can see how big of a diff it will make. hope this helps

later

Trending Topics

Old 10-18-2003, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

what tires would be great for snow and ice but still ride fairly smooth and handle trails well?
Also what do you recommend on the heights and widths of these tires. I would like to use it for icefishing in stead of a snow machine when the ice is too thin to drive a truck out on it.

Old 10-18-2003, 02:53 PM
Range Rover

sorry cant help you their our winters rarely hit the 30's for more than a day or two

Old 10-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

my mudlites are pretty smooth on the trail and i think that they should be decent in snow. as for same width all the way around the front tires hve a slighly wider stance so it kind of already has that (i think). Someone in here (i think it is catkrazy) run 12's all the way around he says that the front tires clear a path for the rears and that it is better. I don't know if it is that much difference.

Quick Reply: Wide Tires Float or Dig Which is better for Quads?