Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 650 belt light/ review.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC 650 belt light/ review.

Hello,
Over the weekend i was trying to hook up a winch on my new AC 650. I was looking for a hot wire under the seat and i probably did something i wasn't supposed to do. My buddy told me not to use those orange wires and i told him "well lets see what happens." In doing so i triggered the belt light and my quad is stuck in retard mode. I said, "ooops i did a bad thing." Any way, i searched the internet and have found a ton of info on how to reset the kawasaki brands belt light but no luck on my AC. I tried to do the same as the kfx, and prairie but i could only find the one 4 connector. I found the one 2 connector and close by only one 4 prong connector, not two. I was wondering if anyone has played with one yet or has any advise. I am not afraid to experiment with some wires if anyone has any guess's. The owners manual for AC is worthless. It is filled with 900 pages of warning for idiot owners. Like me! I've got a call in to my dealer, but he doesn't know yet because the unit is to new. The dealer is a freind of mine and he said we will call AC tech together when i get out of work.

As a side note, i love the quad. I really like the motor. I race dirt bikes, KTM's in the summer and i ride quads in the fall and winter. I ride with a group of assorted quads like grizzly's, polaris and z400's, but sorry no prairies in our group.... YET! Compared to the grizzly it has better power, (longer, tourqier, faster) but doesn't seem to have the snap of the grizz. The AC has a better ride, for slow and fast stuff. Although, the handling of the grizzly is way better than the AC. The AC will push bad and also is a little to big to fit in small places. The grizz also feels like it will turn much sharper than the AC. Nothing is more fustrating than have to use reverse to navagate a tight turn between trees and the grizz didn't. But over all i like it! The coolest thing is watching the grizz go in reverse over fallen logs and the mighty AC just cruises right over with it's awesome ground clearance.
I will post back after the tech call. Fell free to post any questions on the AC. The grizzly is a beat '03 with 25 inch mud lites. Sorry for the length of the post and the typos. I also posted this message on a kawi site to get info, but i thought it might belong on the AC forum also since the more i find out about this stupid belt light the more i am disapointed in the kawasaki belt light set-up. I mean to have your customers disconnect a bunch of wires and reverse them and all that is a bunch of crap! I realize this time it is my fault but default is to come on at 100 hours just to get you to return to the shop is BS. Hopefully after the tech call it will be an easy fix.

Old 10-20-2003, 05:11 PM
Range Rover

HEY freeze how about disconnecting the battery terminals and waiting for 10 to 30 seconds and reconnect as for the winch you should go look for power right off the battery and make sure you fuse the line in case of short have fun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your dealer attended his service school this year he recieved a service school update book. The steps for doing this are in there. A special jumper is required, part number is in book.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Go to the Kaw site and ask someone to send you a link to NYROC'S site.Everything you would need at least as far as the engine goes is in that site.I tried to put a link in here but could not get it to work???? There is a belt light reset procedure along with GOBS of other info that will be helpful in the future.Reading some of the posts here tonight is cracking me up......you guys are just catching onto something us 650 owners have known for two years [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img].
Imagine how that engine runs in a lighter quad like the 650!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats and welcome to the family........sort of [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
02 650 camo

Old 10-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Old 10-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you got the AC winch package, it should plug directly into your two prong pigtail. AC has the best winch setup I have ever seen.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

Imagine how that engine runs in a lighter quad like the 650!!!!!!!!!!!
Imagine how that engine hauls a REAL CHASSIS with ground clearance through mud and over obstacles

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2003, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

If thats what you are into dude good for you.The only thing I don't get about that statement is you usually go over obstacles and thru mud about 2-5 mph.SO if the engine is not important why have it?Hell you can do those things with a 300 cc engine.
One question..has this company ever used their own engine?
02 650 camo

Old 10-29-2003, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

HE HE HE

Old 10-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kodiac1
One question..has this company ever used their own engine?
02 650 camo
I think they did back in the '80's, but after Suzuki bailed them out when they were going bankrupt, the deal was they'd use Suzuki's powerplants.

And, after the Kawaski/Suzuki merger, Cat was blessed with the awesome 650 vtwin..... You Prairie guys have had a really sweet power plant for a long time!

Quick Reply: AC 650 belt light/ review.