Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 09:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise

I have just purchaced a articat 500i, manual. I currently have 145 miles on it. When shifting gears, the first couple of seconds of giving the gas on the new gear produces a "knocking sound", or when the engine is under a load such as going up a hill in wrong gear. I brought it back to the dealer, he changed the oil and put in the synthtic oil and said that the newer oil reduced the engine noise, he also suggested I use a highter otcane gas. I used 91 octane and I still have the noise. Dealer states nothing he can do about it. I am concerned because I feel the knocking will eventualy cause some type of engine problems. Has anyone experienced the same problems??

Old 11-20-2003, 01:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Engine noise

Hey newerrider,
If it only knocks for a few seconds, then its your drive gear, and in time it will go away. Because every thing is still tight. I have over a 1000 miles mine and it does it once in a while. Now if the engine pings, have your valves adjusted.
Also there is no adjustment on the timing, it is set at 10% before top dead center.
I hope this helps.
ps Now that you are using Synthetic oil, keep on using it.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine noise

how hard have you bin rideing it.
i put over 500 miles on mine befor i started useing full throttle.
but i never luged it eather.
after the therd oil change i notist that it smothed right out and started to realy run good.
P.S.
once you've changed to synthetic you cant change back.
at least thats what i've bin told.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine noise

Ya, you can change back and forth between synthetic and conventional oils, providing they're wet clutch approved and it's the proper oil for your bike. I use 0W40 in mine, all year round. Synthetic is superior though, it maintains its' viscosity over a greater temp range and won't break down at high temperatures. For the amount it takes and the frequency of changes, you may as well keep using it.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Engine noise

I have also been told not to switch back to conventional oil from synthetic, so thats a 3:1 ratio. Stay with the synthetic. As for the knocking, mine does it too, if i dont downshift when i should but it is slowly becoming less and less as the miles add up, and i have babied the hell out of mine

Old 11-21-2003, 12:05 AM
Trailblazer
Default Engine noise

HEY NEWERIDER,
MY O3 500I MANUAL DOES THE EXACT SAME THING. I HAD IT TO 3 DIFFERENT DEALERS WITH 3 DIFFERENT
ANSWERS. (1) SAID THEY ALL MAKE THAT NOISE. (2) IT WAS A ENGINE/TRANS KNOCK AND I SHOULD TAKE IT BACK TO THE DEALER I PURCHASED IT FROM. (3) IT WAS A PREIGNITION KNOCK , RAISE MY OCTANE. THE 4TH PLACE I TOOK IT SAID IT WAS NORMAL AND THE WERE DESIGNED AND TO RUN ON 87 OCTANE. BUT ANYWAY MY HAS 286 MILES ON IT NOW AND IT STILL DOES IT. USUSALLY IN 3&4TH GEAR UNDER ACELLERATION. BUT I DO HAVE A TWO YEAR WARRANTY. AND I'LL BE TAKING IT BACK AFTER DEER SEASON HERE IN TEXAS AND HAVE THEM LOOK @ IT AGAIN. TRY THIS, IT A LITTLE DIFFICULT. GET INTO 3RD AND PUT YOUR RIGHT HAND ON THE RIGHT SIDE ON THE ENGINE AND GIVE IT SOME GAS. YOU CAN ACTUALLY FEEL THE KNOCK IN THE TRANS COVER. LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET IT FIXED. AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!

BIG CAT DADDY
TEAMAFISHINADO@NETSCAPE.NET

Old 11-21-2003, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default Engine noise

When my 02 500 Auto was new it sounded like a rod was going to come out of the engine case when climbing steep hills too. I've discovered there is a crank case vent or a compression release component which causes this sound. There have been several posts which confirm this. After 500 miles (I also use synthetic oil) the noise is'nt as pronounced.

Old 11-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Engine noise

Thanks everyone, it looks like a few of us are seeing the same thing and getting the same answer from the dealers! I guess time will tell.
Thanks again
Larry

Old 11-22-2003, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Engine noise

Noticed the same thing on my 02 500i - sounds a lot like a rod bearing knocking, if you've ever had the misfortune to hear that. Related to engine load and throttle position - usually is loudest at low rpm/mid throttle. Higher octane does NOT eliminate the sound.

So I was told by an experienced Cat jockey - it's a compression release valve, all the 500s make that noise. Mine has been making it for 1.5 years and 700 miles, and runs stronger every day.

The sound is annoying, but not threatening. It gets quieter with age, but never completely goes away

Old 11-22-2003, 07:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Engine noise

i noticed this too

i have a 02 500act auto with just about 3000 miles on it now

i was worried until i read this article which also made mention of a crankcase ventilator valve

http://johno.myiglou.com/cat.html

I have not had my machine since new but only for the last few hundred miles but I know the dealer where it was originally purchased and serviced and he concurs.

nothing to worry about, don't sweat it.

Quick Reply: Engine noise