Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Cat 650 limp mode problem fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat 650 limp mode problem fix?

My 650 went into LM with 137 miles on it & nowhere near 100 hrs. Does anyone think its more of a CDI problem, unless of course the belt switch has been tripped by a too loose belt. Could
AC have used a bad batch of CDI'S, or got hold of some of the CDI's Kawasaki was having so much trouble with? The reset harness worked fine on mine, so i guess it wasn't a belt problem.
I've since had it on a good trail ride without any problems. I wish someone with authority at Arctic Cat could read these many posts about the LM problem. I realize that AC is working on it , but meanwhile they are losing customers, & keeping John Q. Public in the dark.Let them get on these forums & make a statement, just good PR, IMO. So maybe the later Cats are o.k. now. What about the one's out that aren't, are we destined to always be fearful of going into LM out on the trails or where ever? Come on AC shed some light on the subject, don't treat us like mushrooms! Regards, Jerico1

P.S.- Reset Connector Harness #0486-161," Don't leave home without it "!

Old 02-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

Might be interesting to check date of manufacture vs limp mode problem. Mine did not arrive at the dealer until mid January and it did come with the new updated reset plug ( no charge ). Anybody know how to read the vin # and try to find the date of production ? I've owned mine for exactly one month and still have received nothing from A/CAT in terms of warrantee papers etc. Somebody asked me if I've explored any ghost towns lately and I replied that I tried to speak with ACAT customer service.....

Old 02-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

they are all to quick with sending out the warranty papers, i bought my 500 on July 10 2003, and im not sure when i recieved the 2 year warranty paperwork but the envelope they were sent in is postmarked october 9 2003

Old 02-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Mine has went into "Limp Mode" 3 times,
the last time I was going about 50 mph on a flat dirt/gravel road, just fell on it's face looked down
seen the belt light flashing. This is convenient, at least I had my plug with me this time.
the time before that I was 2 hours from home & did not know how to reset it. THAT WILL TAKE
THE FUN out of your weekend!!!

Old 02-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, it has happened to me. I ran over the 100 mile mark today and the belt light / limp mode kicked in. My dealer was completely in the dark on the "fix" plug. I am going to give them the part# and order it tomorrow. If there is anything else I need to know about this please let me know.
Thanks for the info so far.
Flux

Old 02-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

By the way, will disconnecting the battery reset this also?

Old 02-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

No!

Here is the sequence to reset the belt failure light.
I would suggest that you have the dealer do item #3 in the sequence
to verify that the toggle switch has actually been tripped, or by another
source, such as a power surge.
THIS IS GOOD TO KNOW WHEN YOUR 2hr. FROM HOME TRYING TO RIDE !

1. Turn key off.
2. Disconnect belt failure switch (two wire connector).
3. Remove belt cover & inspect belt, replace if necessary, and make sure toggle
switch is in the "on" position.
4. Reinstall the belt cover & leave belt failure switch unplugged.
5. Disconnect the 4 wire belt reset connectors.
6. Use the Jumper part #0488-144 and connect this to the mating 4 wire connector.
(Temporary jumper the gray/green and orange/green wires).
7. Turn key on & watch belt light, it will flash fast for 10 seconds and then will
return to a slow flash. (MUST WAIT FOR SLOW FLASH!)
8. Turn key off.
9. Reconnect all connectors to their proper mating connector.
10. Belt light should no longer be flashing.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Range Rover

hey guys my ac650 just hit 210 miles last night and no belt light or limp mode i hear it happens at 100 miles, well if this were the case mine should have tripped, i called articat in michigan and i spoke with one of the engineers about the limp mode problem, it has nothing to do with the cdi at all ,2nd thing that i asked was what about after 100 miles or 100 hours, he had told me that that was a mith the limp mode he has been reading all different atv forums what happend is they built the first run of 650s with a longer belt, which during break in they stretch causing belt deflection causing the belt to hit the switch ,he had told me that since then the belt they use now is the same belt for the p700 which is 4mm shorter he had told me that they have been using the shorter belt since the middle of jan well i hope this info helps some of you guys

Old 03-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Range Rover

turbocoupe, The limp mode is NOT all to do with loose belt problems, how does your ENGINEER explain this. I never did believe the 100 mile fable, on the AC 650's either. It can happen at any time at any mileage & without the switch being tripped. IMO, it would have more to do with loose electrical connections, or some electrical glitch. Any time you can reset the flashing belt light & limp mode by using the reset harness alone will tell you that. I will be putting dielectric grease on my electrical connections, including the fuses, as a precaution, which is a good idea anyway, even without the LM problem. A tripped switch would require the switch to be reset manually, before the reset harness would work. No problems with my 650 since the reset at 137 miles. I have one of the earlier Cats, we uncrated it on Oct. 6th, long before a lot of dealers got their's in. Regards, Jerico1

Old 03-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

jerico when i first bought my machine i pulled every electrical connecter apart and put die elec silicone grease on every connecter along with all ground wires and fuses and even the batt terminals and winch connections it took a couple of hours to do it only makes sense to do this on a machine that is going to be buried in mud water etc i am only explaining what the techs tell me so i can share it with other ac owners as i hear it and being a electronic engineer its just common sense to do this the only way i can figure that limp mode can occur (electrical )is from a spike or a faulty ground causing the ign module to search for ground through another circut which could trip limp mode so far with my machine its been flawless so for anyone that has a ac650 i would recomend going over all elec connecters etc and apply the die elec grease its cheap insurance and also it will keep corosion to a minimal thats my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Cat 650 limp mode problem fix?