Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Newby Here

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newby Here

Lookin to buy my first ATV. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am considering 2 different ones..... The 2003 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (new) and the 2004 Polaris 330 Magnum. I can get the AC 400 for $4600. and the Polaris is $4974. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on either machine....good and/or bad.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2004, 06:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Newby Here

Originally posted by: Hopin4a4
Lookin to buy my first ATV. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am considering 2 different ones..... The 2003 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 (new) and the 2004 Polaris 330 Magnum. I can get the AC 400 for $4600. and the Polaris is $4974. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on either machine....good and/or bad.

Thanks
I have owned both and the AC is clearly superior. I'm not bashing the Polaris. It was a fantastic machine that was easy to ride and very stable. The power was adequate, but it left something to be desired. It never ran out of power, though, in sticky situations. It was very torquey. It was also comfortable and handled well. It did not have very good ground clearance, did not ride as smooth as the AC, and the swing-arm rear suspension could not keep both wheels on the ground in rugged terrain. It also had a small gas tank. I never had trouble with it. It was bulletproof reliable, as have been my AC's. It could not cross deep water because the belt case was not sealed. It darned near stalled out in fender-deep water once at Tellico while my auto AC went right through without a hiccup. It also had no engine braking. The Polaris also has an excellent 4wd system that engages both front wheels, but it doesn't work while braking down hill.

Here are the biggest advantages to the AC:

Power
ground clearance (!!)
ride
suspension articulation
traction
engine braking (!!)
tranny sealed
headlights (not bad on the Polaris, but better on the AC)
simpler maintenance (Polaris has separate tranny fluid and fluid in the front hubs. No big deal, though)
significantly bigger gas tank (slightly over 1 gallon)
4wd while going downhill

Advantages of the Polaris

Handling
Feeling of stability--I say feeling because it actually was easier to tip than the AC, but the AC felt like it wasn't as stable. Beginners liked the Polaris better for this reason.
easier steering effort
slightly more comfortable seat. (I like the width of it)

People will tell you that Polaris is unreliable, but I beg to differ. Mine was seriously abused, including at least three flips, one of which was quite violent. It never let us down and beginners felt more comfortable on it. It was rugged and handled tough terrain, although it had to work harder to do it. I loved that machine, but I'd definetly go with the AC if I were facing the choice. I owned both and drove them side by side. My 375 is the same machine as a 400 ACT. The independent rear suspension is even better, so any suspension related things I said you can consider an even bigger advantage on the IRS.

I hope this helps, and I hope it is viewed as a fair comparison, because I do have fond feelings for that Polaris. It was well built and a good all around machine.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Newby Here

Dan,
Thanks for your answer!! I appreciate the feedback. It's an exciting choice to make, but a difficult at times. Your answer was so forthright and addressed alot of the things I've noticed. If you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to advise. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Again, thanks!!
Todd

Old 02-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Newby Here

i dont know about the polaris.
but the cat will out mud, dirt, or rock climb most other quads
it might not be the fastet but it dose have the most ground clearance.
and it has a suzuki motor and that is one bullet proof engine.
i would go with the cat.
good luck eather way you'll be out there having fun and thats the important thing.

Old 02-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Newby Here

I spent a lot of time on Polaris and Arctic Cat's, for my use the Cat's the only way to go. It really is a much better machine then the Magnum. One thing about the Cat's is that they also don't have any greese zerks, the Polaris is just full of them. (maybe this changed for 2004, but I don't think so) Plus the cat is less money!

DanW did a great job with his list, but just to add some, the 4x4 systems are totally different, Polaris has an AWD system while Cat uses the "normal" system. The Polaris requires 20% rear wheel slipage before the front tires will engage. Cat is always in, this is also why you have your difference in engine breaking. Polaris claims that the cat will only be "3-wheel-drive" but this is never a problem. However there is something about a locking front differential that makes me want one... Also, in my opnion I would say the Cat has the more comfortable seat.

Be sure to test ride them both before picking out which one is best for YOU. Good luck!