Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Actual Tire Size?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actual Tire Size?

Ok, I am hoping you all can help me out here. My stock dunlop tires are really tore up and in need of being replaced. I have been looking at and reading some posts here about Mudlites, Dirt Devils and 589 m/s and after measuring the stock tires on my 400 I am left confused and scratching my head.

I believe the stock tires are 25x8x12 on the front and 25x11x12 on the rear. But, when I measure them I cannot get those measurements without putting about 25psi (or more) in the tire. I usually run around 5-10 psi in my tires. At this pressure I measure somewhere between 23-24 inches. Am I measuring the tires wrong or is this usual?

Also, if anyone is currently running 26inch mudlites, 589 m/s, Dirtdevils, Maxxis, MudBugs, or other mud/trail tire. Can you please post the actual tire size and the psi you are running the tire at?

Old 04-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I run 5lbs in my mudlites. Works fine for mud. As for actual size? I Dunno. They're bigger than stock and look nasty!

Old 04-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Just curious as to why your trying to measure them, are they that bad that you cant read the size on the sidewall. They should be the same size as the tires on you trv, that is if they are stock

Old 04-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, they are the same size as the tires on my TRV. But when I measure those tires I get about the same as onthe 400 and its not 25 inches as is printed on the tires.

I am trying to see if this is normal. I would like to replace them with a 26 inch tire or possibly a 27 inch tire if they actually measure 25 inches at operating pressure.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense but I just think a 25 inch tire should measure 25 inches at operating pressure. (that is if I am meaasuring it correctly).

Old 04-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

ok i understand what your getting at now, I reallly dont know why they are not there listed size. What I do know is that you want to watch it when going above a 26" tire because the extra size and weight starts to cause steering system and driveline problems

Old 04-25-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Petyz24, thanks for the information on the larger tire size. I had pretty much decided to get a set of 26" Mudlites, and now I think that its a defintie will do. Now I just have to see how much shipping is going to cost me. Kinda shocking to discover shipping costs nearly as much as tire from up here!

The other reason I am curious about the actual tire size is that my plastic skid plate has taken a real beating on some rocks, logs, and sticks. It is holding up surprisingly well for plastic. But, even with the 10 or so inches of ground clearence on the AC I think it could be more if the tires were actual size.

Myway, thank you for the letting me know how much psi works well in the tires. That should keep me from having to experiment too much once I get the tires on.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sometimes 26's doesn't mean 26. Look at the specs at Goodyear atv tire or Titan atv tires to get examples. ITP doesn't offer such specs. (Last I knew.) Sometimes a front 25 can be a different height than a back 25. Depending on the type of tire.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Goodyear has a lot of specs on their tires. Haven't found much on ITP but lots of sales people who have answered my questions about them.

I think the beat up skid plate is from not having the shocks adjusted correctly? I might try adjusting them. They are on their weakest setting front and back.? I will wait until I get the new tires on though.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

I measured my 26" mudlites the other day. The rears were only about 25"'s and the fronts were closer to 26". I think I have 4psi rear and 5psi front.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

my buddy has 27 inch mud lites and we put 5 psi in the lites and 5psi in my 28" gators and his lites were just as tall as my 28s.
thats because the treads are taller then the ones on the gators.
and iv'e got 2300 miles on my gators but even so my other freind has 28" dirt devils and his are brand new and the lites are just as tall.

Quick Reply: Actual Tire Size?