Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Boner Mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2000, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boner, don't fall prey to the "part for whole" fallacy.

While your bud may indeed have experienced an extraction abortion with his SuperWinch 1500, too many of us on the Forum with hands-on experience (self included) have covered ourselves with much success and glory (yeah, and mud, too!) using that product.

If your bud's attempt failed, some equipment malfunction, rigging malpractice, or operator error might be involved. With my ATV1500, ****** block and accessories, neither I nor my companions nor the occasional ATVer in distress I encountered ever spent an unplanned night in the swamp. (I did fail, trying to lift the giant (six-foot circumference) water-logged cedar tree from the trail, but I tried!)

As to a rear-mounted winch, a magnificent solution to a non-existent problem in my estimation; but it's your quad--you're the one to satisfy. In the rare occasions when a rear pull is required, snaking the cable under the machine from a front-mounted winch through a ******-block anchored in the rear, then hooked back onto the ATV, works.

Regrdless, best of luck and let us know how it works out.

Tree Farmer

Old 01-29-2000, 02:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking it over, there isn't enough room to mount a winch under there without it sticking out a mile. It would take a lot of rigging as well. If you are so interested in it, then you ought to look into one of those ratchet winches (like a boat crank) that mount to the rear rack. $60 from Cabelas. I still don't see it getting used much anyway, and it would be a cheaper way to go. You don't have a front winch yet do you? Get that superwinch and mount it up there.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 01-29-2000, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

I already Bought and mounted the warn mount up front. Besides I am trying to talk Scott into selling me his old 2000 lb warn.

Andy you forget, I took off my storage box. I have a nice spot right there to mount that superwinch in the rear. A warn will not work because the motor is on the opposite side, it would hit the muffler.

I don't trust Superwinch after that same winch that my freind is giving me couldn't pull out his 450s(which is about 100 lbs lighter), but that is the only winch that will fit. So you think a 900 lb winch would do better than a 1500 lb winch?

You would have to me a Mud rider to relize stuff like that and lift kits.

Old 01-29-2000, 10:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know you don't have the box there, but there still isn't enough room to tuck it back in there. I looked at it good and between the two bars that go up to the racks, there isn't much room at all. Barely enough for the crappy storage box. It would have to hang out a ways, and probably stick out farther than the rack. You could get it to work, but you wouldn't win any beauty contests with it.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 01-29-2000, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

Tree Farmer,

He told me he had replaced the switch(because he ripped the other one off) and ever since it didn't have as mush power.

We didn't have a ****** block with us and couldn't have used it if we had it. I had to ride back to his house to get a tow rope just to reach the nearest tree.

Try running a cable from the front of you quad to the rear when it's high centered(all 4 off the ground) in a rut or when your stuck in rack deep mud.

Old 01-29-2000, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,

I'm going to mount a flat plate to the 2 bars using U-bolts. I will mount the winch to this. The "drum" that hold the cable will be closest to the exhast. I will leave enought room to use(pull) the freespool ****. The motor will stick out towards were all those wires are.

Because of the angle of the bars(frame) in the rear it will not stick out like you think. If I ever get some film to take pistures of my quad I will take a picture of it.

------------------
Arctic Cat 500, Don't worry I'll pull you out.

Old 01-30-2000, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Boner- Andy was right about the ratchet winch. It's $56 and looks like it just slides on the back racks. No attatching or nothing. Take out a lot of work of mounting a winch.

------------------

Old 01-30-2000, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

But it only pulls 900 lbs, it mounts WAY TO HIGH, it would bent the rack, and it only has 25 feet of rope.