Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

'05 650

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 07:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '05 650

#1.The Kawie Prairie trans is set up for Prairie P650/700 4wheelers, the '04 Cat 650 has 40+#s over any P650/700.
#2. The '05 Cat 650V2 has a bigger jump in 107+#s over the '05 P700/BF750.
Add more weight & you do add more friction to the belt system & less overall power.
The Vtwin motor pumps out High HORSEPOWER, nothing comes close with the duramatic trans in the Horse Power department, hence- duramatic will give you longer belt life.
I wouldn't be surprised if the H1 Duramatic is beefed up for the 650H1 engine but the H1 will be putting out less HP than the V2.
Cat is using the P700 belt in the 650V2 but used the springs from the Prairie 650.
Arctic Cat should of done its homework & beefed-up the Kawie unit to handle the additional weight of the Cat 650s, the taller 26" tires also steal power & the Cat 650 is geared a little bit higher to begin with, which is just more negatives against the Kawie Trans in the Cat 650V2.
Don't make any mods from the stock set-up till you can test it out 1st, then make changes if You feel you need too. Some C650 owners just remove 1 shim, leave the stock tire size on or even drop down to a 25" tire & are 100% happy with the Transmission.
I know of a few Cat 650s that have replaced the 650 springs with the P700 springs, use No black spring & liked the results.
Everybody uses their Cat 650s for all types of riding but in the case of the Arctic Cats, their 4wheelers are really set up for Utility.
When I stated that their are more aftermarket products available for the Kawie P650/700 Trans, I wasn't refering to an Stock Kawie but to the others who use monster tires, this is where the aftermarket clutching with the springs, shimming & ramp weights come in. Increase your Tire size & you change your gearing with it, change your clutching & you can gain back some of the lost performance due to the tire mods.
Sounds like some of you alreadly made up your mind about the Kawie trans in the Cat 650 before you even bought it. If you had doubts about it, then Why did you buy it?
I had a '04 Cat 650LE, I had 1 shim removed after 50 miles of riding, I put in the Black spring & did not like the results, so I removed the Black spring, reinstalled the stock spring, put on a set of 25" Carlise Badland Radials, 25x11x12R/25x8x12F & the overall power was a noticeable increase.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 650

The weight is not the issue. I ride with Prairies loaded to the gills with rack storage, extra gas, and 27" or bigger tires. Their dealers are simply better trained to set up the trannys and have more experience. My AC dealer is a Kawi dealer and they set my tranny up right the first time. They told me the belt would stretch during break-in and they told me to bring it in after 50 miles and they would adjust it. They did and I have had no negative issues with it at all. I've ridden many times with loaded with gas and gear, far above the published weight. I have not even had the limp-home issue, let alone slipping belts. I have never seen Prairies or AC 650s in my dealer's shop for tranny issues.

I may be just lucky on the limp-home issue, but my AC was delivered in October of '04 and is one of the early production machines that seem to see the most limp-home problems. I can't help but think it has something to do with dealer prep and knowledge.

I have both AC trannys in my machines and they both work extremely well in the same conditions. They take two completely different engineering approaches but perform equally. The only real advantage I see of one over the other is that the Kawi tranny gets the power down quicker when you get on the throttle, but it this is only by a slight margin. They are both sealed against water extremely well, and I like the metal case on the AC, but like the narrow width of the Kawi. To me, it's a wash between the two. I must admit, after reading all of the forums, I have been more conscious of the 650 tranny than I needed to be. (A good reason not to tune in to these forums!)