Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Bought My first ATV and have a some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2000, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a 98 AC 300 2x4. The ATV was wrecked......owner hit a tree head on. It had been sitting for 1 1/2 years and I bought it last week. I have so far.......replaced all the plastic, repaired front rack and grill, replaced ball joint, battery, tightened handle bars, replaced spark plug, air filter, changed oil and filter, new lights front and rear, painted some metal, checked tires and wheels, lubed all points I could find, checked brakes, cleaned carb and drained fuel tank. I have around 1200.00 and several hours in it.

I went to start it and it would not crank....neutral light was very dim. I have never owned or rode a ATV before so I was lost. I did manage to find the neutral switch and it check good with a meter......so I traced the wiring and found corroded fuses......cleaned the box and replaced the fuses. Now she starts and sounds good.......some smoke at first and some back firing.......cleaned the carb some more and went riding.........wow what fun

Now the questions. I need a manual on this thing.......where do I get it? I also want to start it in any gear........where can I cross the neutral switch at? I crossed the starter sol. with a screw driver but it wont start without the sensor sensing neutral. My right rear manual brake caliper and cable are gone.......is this a big deal? I still have good brakes but I wonder about them failing and not having the manual system. My rear skid plate was torn off..I have it but it is torn at the screw holes......any ideas on how the mount it? I was thinking just drill new holes and mount with bolts and large washers.

If you have any other suggestions for a newbie please feel free to post them.

Thanks Fred

Old 08-20-2000, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Take it to a dealer. Thats your best bet. as far as a book try CLYMER they probally have the book you want. P.S. Brakes are a must. ya never know when you have to "lock em up". I also bought a basketcase and am working on fixing it. best of luck.

Old 08-20-2000, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

The foot brake you are talking about is USELESS. So you don't need to replace it. The single lever on the left side of the handle bars opperates all the brakes.