Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat Reliability

Originally posted by: HogCat
I'm sorry but the 500 was not a demo it was in fact a 2005 with 0 miles I put 30 miles on the machine breaking it in, (and I beleive in breaking in a motor by riding it hard) and paid the dealer for the use of this machine when trading it back to the dealer for the 650 and gladly paid $200 for the useage to get rid of it! As far as something being wrong with it I don't know it seem to run just fine, but it just flatly lacked the power to move the big machine. I know this is not what some want to here but this is my honest opinion of the 500. The Suzki motor and trany just was not the right combo for that chassie. by the way this was the Automatic model. Maybe the standerd trany behind the 500 would be just fine. We never tryed one so I don't know, but if I was looking at the 500 again I would be checking in to it first... I have a qestion why don't they put a standard trany behind some of these big machine's and complete the true off road package ??? there has to be a market for a wheeler like this!!!
I think you must have had a bad machine or maybe it just needed to be fully broken in. My father has a 2000 500 auto and that thing has plenty of power, and the best engine breaking I have experienced. Even now I ride a 400 and it has more power then I use. I was able to pack out a 1000+lbs moose with no problems, and tow my truck two miles to the shop with no problems. So I feel that power is all relevent, remember it wasn't too long ago when the biggest ATV's were 250cc's. While the 500 may have been under powered for you, most people wouldn't have that experience. Thanks for sharing your opinion though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

I've been on a 500 manual and no thanks. I'll take the auto any day. And I agree there was something wrong with your 500. Likely the choke was stuck as my 500's weigh in at over 940lbs + 400 pounds of riders and they will do 50+ via the GPS. There was something not right on your 500 machine. But I can agree the 650 has some serious torque and speed. BTDT.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

My AC (auto) '05 500, simply put, has a lot of power and I hit 51 mph once and the upper 40ies a couple times (probably wont do this very often - there is really no need).
I notice strong engine breaking and I also have to use the throttle to get down fairly steep hills - if not, I will come to a stop. I have also towed a large boat around the yard without trouble at all - in low gear - in forward and reverse without trouble.
I could see that at some speeds the 650 twin could have a very small whisker less vibration, but I have no complaints about mine. I think it is very smooth and has a lot of power when you need it. I find it hard to believe the 650 could have that much more power over the 500- but I have not riden one of these. My guess is even the 400 is pretty good. My dealer tells me he sells more 400s than 500s.

About other kinds of transmissions... why would anyone want, say, a 3 speed auto in an atv as opposed to the CVT type - I will turn the tables here... I believe the cvt technology actually has found it ways into one kind of honda civic car and I think companies like JD have been putting in their lawn tractors for years.

The CVT seems like a great idea for an atv and seems to me works great for a large range of speeds. Actually, if I had to guess, over the next 10 years, more CVT may appear in cars. Also, if there were multiple gears, there would have to be speeds at which the machine would want to hunt back and forth between two and I would think this would make riding at such speeds annoying.
I am not an engineer, but I would guess a cvt is lighter weight and less complex than standard multi-speed transmission-- Well, maybe others can weigh in here as this discussion has grown to many topics.
It seems that either a manual or a CVT are the way to go.

Also, I read some people are worried about weight. For those that do not want a heavy (heavier) machine - the Kodiac 450 is about 600 lbs I think - vs. the AC 500---about 700 lbs. Indeed, this is a decent difference for what I would say are roughly comparable machines. I can understand a smaller person may like a little smaller machine, but on the other hand, is getting the 15 mph on the trail 1 second quicker really a big deal (if that can even be measured, if any atv was, say, 50 pounds lighter)?

AC machines seems a little heavier than some of their counterparts on the market. Well, do your homework and good luck everyone.

Any of you out there like the AC '05 camo model 400 from Gander Mountain? I think it is over priced, but it looks very interesting.

Old 10-29-2004, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

jefffoxsr I got the 500 verstes the 650 and it does just fine pulling logs out of the woods with almost better than my dads tractor does. for pulling trailers it pulls my 995lbs trailer around with no problem just remmber to use low range.

Old 11-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer

Just got my 05 650 yesterday, and I kind of have to agree about it having tight steering. Keep in mind that I've never had a 4x4 utility atv, but it does seem like it would wear you out after a while on the trails.

As for the power...ohhhh baby! Any more power and I'd be afraid to hop on the thing.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

I own a ac 2001 400 4wheel dr and a 2003 polaris 700,I know the ac 500 Is a work horse and a mountain goat.the thing that I don"t like about polaris is that the ebs only applys to the rear wheels only and that gets scary going down steep hills.