Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

My cat is for the birds!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My cat is for the birds!!

I have a 2001 AC 300 4x4. It has givin me nothing but problems. Its been in for squealing breaks about 4 times, the gas gauge broke, the speedopmeter went, i have replaced the right front cv boots 4 times now. The problem which cost me the most was a front end ticking. It ticked for 4 months, and i had it at the dealer about 3 times and they replaced the front bearings and seals 3 times and they said they fixed it and if they didnt there was nothing they could do. Well I found what the ticking sound was about a month ago, about 50 km in the bush when my drive shaft fell off my front differential. Since I baught it new in 2001 repairs have probaly cost me somewhere around $2000-$3000. I am done with Arcitc cat for now, I am going to sell my quad and look at the rest of the atvs on the market. I have no clue oif the snowmobiles have this many problems but I am sure glad I decided to buy a Ski-doo. Just my .02

Old 09-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey man,
My 02 cat has been pretty good except for 1 time when it smoke, but that was just one day. My brakes make a lot of noise after i play in the mud but they are just fine after i wash them off. You might have gotten a lemon. Other then that i dunno man, i love mine to death and don't think i would own anything else. Just my 2 cents worth.....
Brian

Old 09-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

CatsRule; Taking out boots is usually caused by sticks and such tearing them, boot protectors fixed this for me. Seems to me the dealer should have either refunded your money from the earlier repairs of fixed the D/S problem free. My 2001 250 has has the same gas gauge since new and I don't have a speedo, at least not yet. I did hear that the speedo cables were prone to breaking if you let debris hit, bend or kink them. Again your deal screwed you man and you need to go to the Better Business Bureau or your State's Attorney Generals office and bitch long and loud, as he can't legally charge for repairs that don't fix the problem. You moght even contact AC about his crap service dept.

Old 09-30-2004, 12:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just traded my '01, 300 for an '05, 500. My 300 was bullet proof, I didn't have a single problem with it. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Sprinter

Old 09-30-2004, 03:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ya, Bear has some good points. Every ATV has it's strong and weak points, but these kinds of problems are definitely not right and not typical of A/C. I would definitely get your log-o'expenses 'n facts together and approach Arctic Cat corporate and talk to someone who can get something done. Be professional and direct with them--let them know exactly what your experience has been and what you expect them to do about it. I would give them a chance to fix it first, then if they blow you off, DEFINITELY go for the alternatives just as Bear suggests. Just my .02 cents.

Steve

Old 09-30-2004, 09:28 AM
Trailblazer

The loose front drive shaft is a dealer check item when the machine is set up.The earlier 300,s were called in for a check on this.It sounds like you need to have a change of dealers.

Old 09-30-2004, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

Well I have saved all my recipts and put them in a folder. I am going to sit down and write a letter to A/C. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

my cat gave me nothing but trouble also and the last time it broke and i took it to the shop while it was being fixed i traded it for a honda.
and i havent had one single problem with it and i now have 1100 miles on it and my best friend has 3000 miles on his without a hitch also.
but like bobby hill said all makes have there lemons
maybe we were unlucky enuff to get them.
i hope your next one will be trouble free like mine and my friends hondas.