Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas gauge

i got an 03 AC 400 4x4 auto, and about a month ago i noticed the gas gauge on the tank wasnt moving anymore. it used to fluctuate when the gas sloshed around in the tank but not anymore. even when i filled it stayed in the same position, anyone else have this problem or a quick fix id appreciate it

Old 09-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default gas gauge

It's a simple mechanical gauge with a float that the move the needle. Sounds like the float cam loose. As far as my manual goes the gauge is not servicable, but I find that hard to beleive. So I looked up parts and you can buy a gauge, PN# 0470-444 for $21.90 with a gasket included and it says it is a press fit, so I would say get a new gauge and pry out the old gauge, use two screwdriver on opposite sides and press in the new one. Sounds like a home project to me.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Range Rover
Default gas gauge

thanks for the info, i thought it had to be something like that, my tractor has the same type of gauge except the entire float comse out with the cap every time its removed. where did u find that part so i can look into getting that. anyway thanks again for the help bear4570, really appreciate it

Old 09-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default gas gauge

When I'm looking for parts I go to www.alpha-sports.com and they even have prices available. Then I call my closest dealer and see if he has it, if not I try the guy 50 miles out and if he doesn't have it I order from him. He will order without me having to come in and pay up front and only takes 3 days to get the part. The first guy takes 7 to 10 days.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default gas gauge

You shouldn't need to buy a new gauge. Just remove and repair the one you have.

With a flat screwdriver between the gas tank and the rubber grommet, carefully pry out the grommet and gauge. The grommet and gauge are just press-fit in the tank.

The gauge consists of the meter portion (top), the rail assembly (long U), the float, and the needle drive (twisted metal bar through the float). The "U" assembly wiggled out of the meter portion on mine, so I had to fish the pieces out of the tank before I could make the repair. A flashlight and a long hemostat was helpful to retrive the parts.

Once you have all the parts in hand, reassemble the gauge. Two things to watch: 1) Place the "pointy" end of the needle drive into the needle, and 2) make sure the needle points to "E" (empty) when the float is down. Move the float up and down and verify correct needle position. If the needle reading does not make sense (down=empty, up=full), give the needle drive a 180 turn on the float and reinstall. Then (this is very important) install the grommet in the tank FIRST, THEN wet the grommet with fuel and push the gauge assembly into the grommet.

To prevent the "U" assembly from wiggling out again, I roughed up the post ends and "threaded" the holes on the meter portion. Hopefully this will be enough friction to keep it together.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Trailblazer
Default gas gauge

www.Brownsleisureworld.com Has all Arctic Cat parts on file. Just go to parts online and enter in what machine you have.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default gas gauge

The only problem with Browns is it shows Canadian dollars and not US. I realize that the Us dollar amount will be less, but if a guy doesn't know how to do exchange rates the price might scare him to death. I do use Browns accessories catalog for AC stuff as it is easier to make work and then I plug the part number into Alphas parts search to get US price.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default gas gauge

Bear,
Good point about the price being in Canadian dollars. I have a currency converter in my computer so it's no big deal for me, so I kinda forget about that. Plus usually if I need a part what else you going to do? I just order from my local dealer.