Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Performance kit and speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2000, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride a lot of hills and stuff. More of that than anything. Thats why I want a sportsman. I'm sick and damn tired of 3wheeling and spinning out. The Polaris will spin out all 4 tires in a lot of those places, but not as many as the AC. Why would you think the AC would be better in hills anyway. I think it has more forward weight (major key for me when I bought it), but thats about it.

As far as speed goes, I take it on dirt roads and pavement every now and then where I can run it wide open. I want something that will run with everyone. I don't like being outdone in that category. By a sport bike, no problem, but not by another utility. The 400 explorer is major fast, but I'm lookin for a compromise between good speed and then the other features, such as the IRS, shaft drive and 4-stroke that eliminate that. The Grizz is fast, but I favor my AC's swingaxle more than I do the speed there. The sportsman seems to be the best compromise of the bunch.

Old 08-29-2000, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sorry I didn't go into any detail, I was in a hurry. If I had pictures, I'd scan them and email them to you. It looks mean with that stuff on it. Too bad it won't go faster or turn both fronts all the time.

As far as the GPS goes, I don't know anything at all about them. The one I used is one that we got for the fire department rescue truck. Its not mine but I can use it at will. Its a Magellan 315 or something like that. Probably cost around $150 or so.

The lights were easy. Basically, I couldn't find anything to make a mount with, but I did find the back of an electrical switch box (the metal plate that fits on the back of a light switch box or electrical outlet box) leftover from when we built our house. I cut it in half with a hacksaw, and bent both in kind of an S shape. That way it hangs off of the existing light pegs, goes down, and flattens out again. I drilled it on top to mount flat on the peg using the existing bolt though the stock headlight to hold it on. Then I drilled the bottom end and attached the lights where they hang down from that. These lights were only about as big as your fist. They fit in there tight. If I used bigger heavier lights, I might have needed something a little sturdier to mount to, but these worked fine. The lights just sucked.

Old 08-30-2000, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Yeah, if you've got some pics, I'd love to see them. I like checking out what everybody is riding and seeing the different things they've done to they're machines. If it wasn't for that damn money issue, boy I tell ya. I hate to say it though, but I think finishing this last 7 credits is more important in the long run than putting tires on the 'Cat and doing various other things. Just have to wait a couple months, then do it.

As far as the lights go, I've got a pair of holes a couple inches in front of the stock lights that will work just fine for mounting some accessory lights. Good thinking though with that light switch back, and shaping it like that, that definately would have worked.

Boy I still can't get over the trouble with the '99 front end that you've got. I still haven't had the three wheel thing happen to me while climbing hills, even while crossing over tree roots or rocks, stumps, etc., maintaining an uphill climb. Even when I'm towing logs up hills, and the damn things get caught on another tree or stump, I end up burying all four wheels, time after time. End up having to back up and out of four big holes, then pick a new line. Guess I should consider myself lucky I've got all four pulling like they should.

How are your tires doing? You still happy with them?

Mike

Old 08-30-2000, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Andy,

You could be a prime candidate for a Magnum if IRS
is not your major desire.

Judging from your recent posts it looks as if the score will be Polaris +1 Arctic Cat -1 sometime here in the near future. You seem to be losing the faith in A.C. :^)

Old 08-30-2000, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

Andy, I was talking about the Sportsman being top heavy for side hilling. They are just not as stable in the hills as AC'S.
You didn't answer me about the true speed of the Sportsman on the GPS. Their speedo's could be off quite a bit also. Are they worth 1 or 2 miles an hour faster for reliability and more maintenance time than your AC. Remember maintenance is not really fun, especially lots of grease zerks.

Old 08-30-2000, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Irichard:
I couldn't agree with you more. There are a lot of guys who like having grease zerks, just to know that it is greased. I preferred them on my pickup U-joints because with the setup I had, and running huge tires (38") I'd always blow the non-greasable ones. Though on my four wheeler, I know for a fact I would not keep up with the greasing, especially 36 of them or so(?) then I'd be in for major troubles. Especially every time you hit a mud hole or get into water. That's one thing about the AC, it's sealed so there is nothing to really worry about as long as you maintain proper fluid levels in engine/tranny and differentials.

How long were you running your lift? Was it a custom one, or purchased from a reputable company, such as HL? I remember you saying the joint angles were too severe and caused the cv joints to go out so you took it off, is that right?

I don't know my geography of AK all that well. How far is Nikiski from Anchorage? I've got an aunt that lives there that I went and spent a week with the summer before last. We toured the Kenai penninsula and all around that area. Saw a few different musk ox, caribou and wolf ranches. Her husband at the time had a gold mine somewhere farther north that we went and messed around at for a couple days. Really pretty country up there.

Take care!

Mike

Old 08-30-2000, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Nikiski is on the Kenai Penn. by road about 180 miles from Anchorage, as the crow flies 50 or 60 miles. I live in Soldotna now also on the Kenai Penn.
The lift was from H.L. My friend and I both had one and he just spent $850.00 dollars in wore out parts in the front. I didn't need any more proof so I took mine off. We only had about 3 or 400 miles with the kits too. It didn't take long to take affect. I am going to be 50 years old next year and I don't like maintenance anymore. Thats why I own the Cat.
I am originally from Louisiana, but been up here for about 14 years, love it. Great hunting and fishing up here. Good clean fresh air too. Lots and lots of trails no fences. My only worry now is Al Gore winning the presidency and then there goes everybodys trails and guns. Well have a good day.

Old 08-30-2000, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

As far as GPS's go I have a Garmin 12XL and love it. They run about $145.00 in many catalogs and similar in stores. Mine more than paid for itself last week alone. I was riding (horses and mules) with my brother in law in some backcountry about 10 miles from the nearest road. My brother in laws horse went over backwards on him and compound fractured his lower right leg. I had to ride out and go to town to phone for a medical helicopter to fly him out. I was able to take a coordinate reading at the location of the accident and tell the flight crew where he was at and they flew directly to him. Possible saved his life as he was bleeding pretty good.

Old 08-30-2000, 08:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That is the sole reason we got one for the fire department. For nothing other than getting coordinates to land rescue helicopters in the few cases that we ever need them. We've used air evac like 2 maybe 3 times in the last 10 years, but if we ever happen to have that need, the GPS is going to be there. I'd say that a life is easily worth $150.

Old 08-30-2000, 08:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cowboy, I don't ever have any problem in most hills at all. Never on a hill that is actually a trail. I am always cuttin though the woods above my house just looking for a challenging little spot to try to make it through. Thats where I get myself in those spinouts. I have a little ditch like thing up above the house that comes out of the woods onto the dirt road. When its wet, i have to have a little momentum otherwise I spin out. This pissed me off once, when the 2wd honda could constantly go up it easier than the 4wd AC. That was embarrassing, even though I owned both of the quads in question. I've done it on uneven dirt mounds and stuff too. Done it in loose leaf and dirt hills where it was uneven. I think any limited slip would do the same in these places though. I dont see anything wrong with mine. I just think that in those situations, a true front end pulling both tires would be better. I'm still weighing every downside to the Sportsman, and the price seems to be climbing on it. Damn dealers are as inconsistent as the weather around here. Worse even this time of year cause its just plain hot as hell all the time right now.

Quick Reply: Performance kit and speed